This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0173 / 56°1'2"N
Longitude: -3.6081 / 3°36'29"W
OS Eastings: 299852
OS Northings: 681656
OS Grid: NS998816
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.SZ8F
Mapcode Global: WH5R2.K02W
Plus Code: 9C8R298R+WQ
Entry Name: Anderson Building, 23-29 South Street, Bo'Ness
Listing Name: 23 - 29 (Odd Nos) South Street, Anderson Building
Listing Date: 31 March 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397313
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49712
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness
Traditional County: West Lothian
James Thomson, dated 1902. 3-storey, 3-bay, classically-detailed small tenement with shops at ground, in regular terrace. Ashlar with raised quoins. Ground floor entablature, deep eaves lintel course, cornice and blocking course. Channelled pilasters and fluted capitals; lugged architraves to 1st and 2nd floor openings, with bracketted cills, pulvinated friezes and cornices to 1st floor, fielded aprons and lugs to 2nd floor outer bays. Stone mullions.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: deep-set 6-panelled timber door with large plate glass fanlight off-centre right at ground, shop to right with in-canted door to left and fixed display window to right, and traditional centre door shop with mosaic-tiled doorstep to left; each floor above with single window to centre and bipartite windows to flanking bays, relief carved panel worded 'ANDERSON BUILDING' between floors at centre and decorative consoles flanking windowhead to centre at 2nd floor giving way to shouldered wallhead stack with panel dated '1902'.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks, that to S corniced, with cans and ashlar-coped skews. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hopper to SE.
INTERIOR: shop at No 23 with deeply moulded cornices, boarded walls and some traditional shelving on decorative cast-iron brackets.
Group with Nos 19-21 and 31-33 South Street. One of a number of 'Anderson Bequest' buildings in the town funded by the legacy of ship owner and banker John Anderson (1794 - 1870). Known locally as 'the King of Bo'ness', he also funded the town's first secondary school. This example of the work of prolific local architect James Thomson is similar in design to Nos 47 and 49, though plainer and more stripped in form.
Other nearby listed buildings