This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7561 / 55°45'22"N
Longitude: -4.588 / 4°35'16"W
OS Eastings: 237689
OS Northings: 654453
OS Grid: NS376544
Mapcode National: GBR 3C.B838
Mapcode Global: WH3PH.HLG4
Entry Name: Cuff Farm, Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 31 March 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397333
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49728
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Dalry and West Kilbride
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Early 19th century; with later 20th century additions. 2-storey farmhouse with 3 wide bays; range to NW forming L-plan, further range to W originally forming U-plan courtyard. Central Corinthian columned portico; raised tablet above entablature; windows with raised margins and cills. Angle margins, eaves course and eaves cornice. Later render replacing traditional harl.
INTERIOR: not seen (2003).
Timber sash and case plate glass windows (originally 12-pane, astragals knocked-out). Graded grey slates; straight stone skews; stone ridge; coped ashlar end stacks.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: corniced and capped square gatepiers with random rubble coped walls to house; further tall gatepiers at entrance to drive with panelled decoration. Cast-iron gates with vase finials.
This is a large farmhouse, with a good principal elevation. The roof is unaltered and the stacks remain at either end to give a balanced, symmetrical appearance. The later additions, typical of developing farm complexes, have spread to the north west however the house maintains a distinctive presence at the heart of the farm and the original outbuildings remain within this later development. The imposing gatepiers at the beginning of the long, tree-lined drive to the house announce to the visitor that this is a large and important farm. The Heritors' Records of 1820-22 record John Urquhart as the owner of Cuff and one of the principal landowners in the parish. Cuff is marked on Pont's map published in 1654 indicating that a dwelling was in existence well before the present house. Indeed, the present house may be of 18th century date, incorporating earlier fabric, with early 19th century remodelling, most noticeably the fashionable doorpiece.
Other nearby listed buildings