History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

36-40 Golspie Street & 16 Garmouth Street, Salvation Army Citadel

A Category B Listed Building in Govan, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.863 / 55°51'46"N

Longitude: -4.3177 / 4°19'3"W

OS Eastings: 255047

OS Northings: 665736

OS Grid: NS550657

Mapcode National: GBR 05L.T1

Mapcode Global: WH3P1.NW5R

Entry Name: 36-40 Golspie Street & 16 Garmouth Street, Salvation Army Citadel

Listing Date: 26 April 2004

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397411

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49789

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Govan

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Govan

Description

John Hamilton, dated 1903, Junior Hall sympathetically enlarged 1906. Single-storey and gallery, 7-bay rectangular-plan with free Renaissance details Salvation Army Citadel. Squared and snecked bull-faced red sandstone with ashlar dressings to E & S, red brick, red painted harl to N where other properties formerly adjoined. Some mullioned and transomed windows, pedimented entrance doorways, some with stylised keystone detail, short square tower, inscribed ashlar panels to E.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to left, 3-bay gable (containing 'Large Hall') with central slightly advanced principal entrance with open pediment containing Salvation Army Crest with 'BLOOD AND FIRE' motto. Above, lettering 'THE SALVATION ARMY.1903.' surmounted by pair of 4-light mullioned and transomed windows. To right, one bay short square tower with central pedimented doorway with elongated keystone. To far right, 3-bay (containing 'Junior Hall') slightly recessed section with slightly advanced gable to outer bay with pedimented doorway with elongated keystone.

S ELEVATION: dominated by triple 4-light mullioned and transomed windows.

W ELEVATION: masked by modern shallow two-storey red brick extension.

N ELEVATION: nearly blank, red painted harl.

Replacement glazing, modern roof tiles, metal shuttered doors.

INTERIOR: not seen 2004.

Statement of Interest

NOTES: Ecclesiastical building in use as such. One of the more impressive of Hamilton's Salvation Army commissions in Glasgow, this building is indicative of the missions established by the Salvation Army in socially-excluded urban areas. It is noteworthy for its contribution to Glasgow's social history.

Founded by William Booth in the East End of London in 1878 with the intention of reaching the poorest in society, the Salvation Army (formerly 'The Christian Mission' - leading a war on sin) now carries out work in 109 countries and is one of the largest providers of social welfare in the world.

The plans drawn by Hamilton in 1902 differ slightly from the constructed building - the tower was to be placed to the far left of the Citadel. The originally single storey 'Junior Hall' to the right was presumably enlarged during the work carried out in 1906 and noted on a panel on the E elevation, '... THE EXTENSION OF THE YOUNG PEOPLE'S HALL AND THE REOPENING OF THE SAME 15TH DECEMBER 1906'. Hamilton's plans show an impressive galleried interior to the 'Large Hall'.

A bequest by James Orr of Glasgow and Harviestoun Castle assisted in the erection of the Citadel.

Once part of a dense area of tenements and directly adjacent to a United Free Church and Hall, the area around the Citadel has changed dramatically within the last 50 years.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.