This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7019 / 55°42'6"N
Longitude: -3.9723 / 3°58'20"W
OS Eastings: 276150
OS Northings: 647146
OS Grid: NS761471
Mapcode National: GBR 02PH.TV
Mapcode Global: WH4R3.YYL7
Plus Code: 9C7RP22H+Q3
Entry Name: Meadowside Cottage, 106 Lockhart Street, Stonehouse
Listing Name: 106 Lockhart Street, Meadowside Cottage, Former East Bar Tollhouse Including Outbuildings and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 7 June 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397493
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49856
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Avondale and Stonehouse
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Earlier 19th century double-fronted single storey cottage (former tollhouse); with basement and attic (2 storeys to rear). Later extension to rear. Sandstone ashlar; rendered rubble to sides and rear. Band course to eaves. Overhanging eaves at gables. Raised window surrounds 2-leaf timber panelled door and modern inner door. Modern 2-light windows. Small central rooflight to front; small rooflight and large modern rooflight to rear. Pitched roof of graded grey slates; piended to rear extension. 2 stone gablehead stacks with modern cans; small brick wallhead stack to extension. Cast iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: coved ceiling, simple cornices and timber linings and shutters in front rooms; boarded ceilings and boarded doors to attic rooms
Pitched roof stone-built former washhouse (now garage) to rear. low boundary wall with chamfered coping. Square gate piers.
Around 1836 the Edinburgh to Ayr Turnpike Road was opened and this building and the West Bar tollhouse are presumed to have been built at the same time. The West Bar tollhouse also survives but is much altered. Meadowside cottage is, therefore, an important building in the development of Stonehouse and one of the few earlier 19th century buildings in this part of the village. The formality of the design and the use of fine ashlar are also notable compared to the other buildings of a similar vintage. The cottage is in a prominent position on the main road into Stonehouse and still defines the boundary of the village. Although the windows have been replaced, the front elevation retains its original character.
It is the opinion of the owner that the road formerly went to the South of the tollhouse and the 1st O.S. map suggests that a road may have branched off the present Lockhart St. An early road surface was found in the garden to the South of the house. There was originally a stair to the garden level from the entrance floor and this appears on O.S. 1st ed. (c 1864) the extension had been built by O.S. 2nd ed. (c.1898). The basement level of the cottage appears to have been used for housing animals as a stone trough and tethering rings are known to have existed. The wash-house is later 19th century.
Other nearby listed buildings