This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8596 / 55°51'34"N
Longitude: -4.0367 / 4°2'12"W
OS Eastings: 272618
OS Northings: 664811
OS Grid: NS726648
Mapcode National: GBR 007P.VB
Mapcode Global: WH4Q9.YZXB
Plus Code: 9C7QVX57+R8
Entry Name: Union Bank, 163A- 163 Bank Street, Coatbridge
Listing Name: 163 Bank Street, (Former Union Bank) Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 11 June 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397513
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49869
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Coatbridge South
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Alex Nicol (Airdrie), 1853. 2-storey 3-bay classical former bank building (now housing) on corner site. Polished ashlar (now rendered to front); raised long and short quoins. Eaves band course, mutuled cornice and blocking course. Tablets with blind quatrefoils and panelled dies to centre of blocking course. Single-storey projection to rear and Mid-20th century single-storey extension to W. N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 10-step stone flight leading to door and large fanlight in pilastered surround with consoles at lintel, mutuled cornice and parapet with quatrefoil decoration and panelled dies. Similarly detailed matching tripartite window in outer bays. Semicircular projections to window surrounds on first floor.
E ELEVATION: regular fenestration. Cornices to ground floor windows; plain surrounds to first floor.
Modern doors. Predominately timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing; replacement glazing to extension to W. Piended roof; grey slates. Truncated wallhead stacks. BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low coped boundary walls with squat corniced, square plan gatepiers.
This is an imposing building on a prominent corner site entering Coatbridge, well-proportioned with good original details. It is also one of a very small number of mid 19th century buildings in this part of Coatbridge and part of the commercial history of the area. The Union Bank moved into this building in 1855 The 1858 town plan shows only the eastern half of the building being used as a bank and a separate entrance on the west elevation, which may have had a domestic use. Prior to its renovation into flats in the late 20th century, the building was used as offices for the Department of Health and Social Security.
Other nearby listed buildings