This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8619 / 55°51'42"N
Longitude: -4.0316 / 4°1'53"W
OS Eastings: 272948
OS Northings: 665061
OS Grid: NS729650
Mapcode National: GBR 008N.ZH
Mapcode Global: WH4QB.1XHJ
Plus Code: 9C7QVX69+Q9
Entry Name: Coatbridge, Caledonian Railway Bridge, Monkland Canal
Listing Name: Railway and Foot Bridge over Former Monkland Canal (West Bridge) Including Access Stair Building
Listing Date: 11 June 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397517
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49873
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Coatbridge South
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Caledonian Railway Company and Brandon Bridge Company, Motherwell, 1898. Cast-iron, mild steel and masonry railway bridge. Parallel plate girders; doubled in depth over canal. Lattice steel parapet (C-section members). Rusticated red sandstone ashlar and droved ashlar piers with polished ashlar cutwaters. Rusticated ashlar terminals with cornice and pyramidal capstones.
FOOTBRIDGE through W side of piers; round-arched openings through piers, lattice steel sides and steel overhead arch ties.
ACCESS STAIR BUILDING TO N: Red brick with piended slate roof, segmental-arched windows, glazed brick band course at eaves. Blocked doors to platform and lower level.
Along with other railway bridge adjacent to Main Street (see separate listing), this bridge forms a gateway to the town centre and is one of the defining elements of the urban and industrial landscape of Coatbridge. Railways were particularly important to the coal and iron industries around Coatbridge, which came to be known as 'The Crewe of the North.'
The footbridge is an interesting and attractive part of the composition. The bridge was completed on the 2nd of November 1898 and replaced a narrower bridge erected circa 1842. The work also involved the removal of the piers, which had interfered with traffic on Bank St. This bridge served the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge railway line south to Wishaw. The Glasgow to Garnkirk Railway was opened in 1831 and extended East to Gartsherrie and South to Whifflet from 1844.
Other nearby listed buildings