This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8616 / 55°51'41"N
Longitude: -4.0311 / 4°1'51"W
OS Eastings: 272976
OS Northings: 665026
OS Grid: NS729650
Mapcode National: GBR 009N.2L
Mapcode Global: WH4QB.1XPS
Plus Code: 9C7QVX69+MH
Entry Name: 11 Bank Street
Listing Name: 1 Ross Street and 1 - 13 (Odd Nos) Bank Street
Listing Date: 17 October 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398076
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50160
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Coatbridge South
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Davidson, 1898. 2-storey rectangular plan Renaissance style public house with offices (former Masonic hall) above. Extending along Bank Street with commercial and domestic properties. Red sandstone ashlar, chanelled to ground floor. Canted corner with oriel window and triangular pediment above eaves. Continuous frieze for signage, moulded string course at impost level on first floor, frieze and cornice to wallhead, blocking course. Large public house windows and shop windows on ground floor.
N (BANK STREET) ELEVATION INCLUDING NOS 1,3 AND 5: symmetrical elevation. Central bay contains two round-headed keystoned doorways. Bays divided on the first floor by coupled Corinthian pilasters and containing bipartite and tripartite round-headed windows with Corinthian columns. Prominent wallhead stack with flanking balustrades. CANTED BAY: round-headed opening to ground floor within pilasters with grape and hop motifs to capitals. Corbelled tripartite oriel window with Corinthian columns. Piended roof to corner pediment with square terminal and ball finial.
E (ROSS ST.) ELEVATION: round-headed doorway and plate-glass window to ground floor, tripartite window over.
7, 9, 11, 13 BANK STREET: 2-storey 6-bay range, with square-headed bipartite windows to first floor, and alternating round-headed entrances and shopfronts to ground. Timber panelled and later flush doors. Plate-glass windows to public house; plate-glass sash and case windows to first floor. Grey slate roof. Wallhead and ridge stacks with decorative clay cans.
This is a well-detailed example of a multiple-use building of the late 19th century by an important local architect and sits in a prominent location on a main road into the town.
The building was designed to house a Masonic hall. Valuation rolls of the period record that in 1898 St James Masonic lodge was already occupying No 5 Bank St. The same document records a Mary King owning a spirit shop known as the 'Sharks Mouth.' There had been a public house on this site since at least 1858 when the previous building on the site is marked as 'Railway Tavern' on the town plan.
The pattern of the shopfronts along Bank Street is continuous as far as the railway bridge, although the wall height is lower and there are simpler bipartite square-headed windows. The building is now divided into a number of properties, with a separate business now operating out of the Western part of the Bank Street elevation.
James Davidson (1848-1923) was a successful Coatbridge architect who designed a number of schools and commercial buildings in the town, including Gartsherrie Primary School (1906), Airdrie Savings Bank (1920), Glenboig Union Fireclay Company and Broomknoll Parish Church. Davidson's most prestigious commission was for The King's Theatre in Edinburgh (1905-6), which he designed in collaboration with J D Swanson.
Other nearby listed buildings