History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial, Church Street, Inverkeithing

A Category C Listed Building in Inverkeithing, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0319 / 56°1'54"N

Longitude: -3.3967 / 3°23'48"W

OS Eastings: 313061

OS Northings: 682995

OS Grid: NT130829

Mapcode National: GBR 20.RYPS

Mapcode Global: WH6S3.SNQ6

Plus Code: 9C8R2JJ3+Q8

Entry Name: War Memorial, Church Street, Inverkeithing

Listing Name: Church Street, War Memorial

Listing Date: 4 August 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397645

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49941

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Inverkeithing

County: Fife

Town: Inverkeithing

Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in


Peter Reid, 1923; additional commemorative plaques, post-1945. Granite monolithic war memorial. Elongated, moulded Celtic Cross on splayed foot with carving of wreath to W, set atop tall chamfered and stepped square-plan pedestal with bronze plaques commemorating names of fallen servicemen and women to each face, that to W inscribed "TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN LOVING MEMORY / OF THE MEN / OF INVERKEITHING AND / DISTRICT WHO FELL IN / THE GREAT WAR / 1914-1919"; that to E inscribed "TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN LOVING MEMORY / OF THE MEN & WOMEN / OF INVERKEITHING AND / DISTRICT WHO FELL IN / THE WORLD WAR / 1939-1945". Small oval copper discs centred below each bronze panel with moulded image of ship (official symbol of Inverkeithing Burgh). Carved lettering to W of foot of pedestal "THEIR NAME LIVETH / FOR EVERMORE".

Statement of Interest

Originally sited on ground to S of Fordell's Lodging (16 Church Street) at NT 13020,82962 but moved to its larger and more prominent position adjacent to N side of St Peter's Parish Church in 1973 (location of former primary school). The memorial was erected with the help of public subscription and was unveiled by the Right Honourable Earl of Elgin and Kincardine in April 1923. Peter Reid LRIBA (1881-1937) was a Kirkcaldy-based architect and had articled to Sir R R Anderson (1899-1904). From 1904 he was assistant to William Williamson of Kirkcaldy.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.