This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.2237 / 57°13'25"N
Longitude: -2.1851 / 2°11'6"W
OS Eastings: 388918
OS Northings: 814786
OS Grid: NJ889147
Mapcode National: GBR XK.SQHJ
Mapcode Global: WH9Q9.DPPM
Entry Name: A947, Goval Bridge
Listing Date: 10 March 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397786
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49670
Building Class: Cultural
Location: New Machar
Electoral Ward: East Garioch
Parish: New Machar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1800, widened circa 1880. Single-span segmentally arched bridge with parapet flanked by projecting pilasters, wingwalls (extended to W side). Coursed squared granite rubble; bullfaced squared rubble to arch ring and base of pilasters. Square coped, slightly sloped parapet with corbelled stringcourse to base course. Pilasters, stringcourse (level with that of parapet); blind quatrefoil flanked by blind arrowloops; square coping. Saddleback coping to extensive lengths of wingwalls to W.
The Goval Bridge carries the Banff-Aberdeen turnpike road over the Goval Burn. The passing of the Aberdeenshire Turnpike Act facilitated the establishment of a turnpike road between Banff and Aberdeen. Work on the road began with the stretch between Oldmeldrum and Aberdeen in 1800. However, even this southern length of the road could not be completed until sufficient subscribers could be found to fund the expense of a bridge over the Don at Dyce. This was eventually built (of timber, to later be replaced by a stone bridge) in 1802. In 1807 the Banff- Aberdeen turnpike was compete, forming an important transport artery through Aberdeenshire.
This bridge is likely to have been built as part of the initial turnpike construction programme, circa 1800.The inserted brick arch was the result of a widening of the bridge to accommodate increased traffic in the later 19th century. The decorative details of the bridge, particularly the blind quatrefoils
and arrowloops, and the corbel course below the parapet, are strongly reminiscent of the style of Alexander Stevens and Son, architects and civil engineers who also did a great deal of bridge building, often to their own designs (eg. Bridge of Dun, Angus, 1785). There is however, no known direct link between the Stevens? and this particular bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings