This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0302 / 57°1'48"N
Longitude: -4.1871 / 4°11'13"W
OS Eastings: 267354
OS Northings: 795363
OS Grid: NN673953
Mapcode National: GBR JB14.DR5
Mapcode Global: WH4JM.NKCD
Entry Name: Craig Dhu Lodge
Listing Date: 25 March 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397788
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49688
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Later 19th century multi-gabled 2-storey, irregular-plan house in the style of a shooting lodge (built reputedly as the dower house for Cluny Castle) set on an elevated situation with former servants' wing built into slope to NW, former servants' wing enlarged with a subsequent block built in the late 19th century.
Rubble with dressed openings, long and short quoins, timber sash and case plate glass windows. Entrance set in re-entrant angle of advanced gable to principal SW elevation, raggles of former 19th century conservatory visible above doorway. Distinctive tall conical roof to small 2-storey circular-plan tower set between main house and lower former servants' wing to principal elevation; bellcast eaves with fish-scale and banded slates, crowned by weather-vane Slightly advanced gabled section to NE garden elevation; windows set within chamfered arises at ground, moulded detail above returning to original line of arris. Former servants' wing to NW set below house with 2-storey, circular-plan observatory to N corner (no longer functioning as observatory, 2004), service courtyard set infront. Overhanging eaves with exposed rafters, steeply pitched gables and dormer windows, grey slate roofs.
INTERIOR: impressive hall leading to large drawing room with original features including simple cornices and 4-panelled doors.
Built in the style of a shooting lodge and set in dramatic scenery Craig Dhu was most likely built as the dower house for nearby Cluny Castle. It was probably enlarged at the time Caroline Catherine Macpherson of Cluny Castle married George Dartmouth Fitzroy in 1874, as it became their official residence (their grave is set to the NE of the house). It is of interest to note that George Dartmouth Fitzroy was a relation of Robert Fitzroy, who captained the HMS Beagle when Charles Darwin made his voyage of discovery in 1831.
It has mistakenly been documented by some sources that it is Robert Fitzroy who lived and is buried at Craig Dhu, this is a factual error. The round tower to the N corner of the servants'
accommodation was built as an observatory probably at the time George Dartmouth Fitzroy took up residence. The present owners recall the tower containing machinery, most likely a turning mechanism for a platform where the telescopic instruments would have been located, none of this remains, and it has been converted to bedroom and kitchen accommodation (2004). The house was a clinic for recovering alcoholics in the 1980s with some original features being lost, it has however been sympathetically converted back to domestic use. The house is surrounded by grounds, much of which are wooded, there is a large formal lawn to the NE of the house. A converted steading and lodge stand to the W of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings