This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8532 / 55°51'11"N
Longitude: -4.2577 / 4°15'27"W
OS Eastings: 258763
OS Northings: 664527
OS Grid: NS587645
Mapcode National: GBR 0KP.ZJ
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.K4QP
Plus Code: 9C7QVP3R+7W
Entry Name: 12-20 (Even Nos) Coburg Street
Listing Date: 10 November 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397837
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50012
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Southside Central
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Bruce & Hay, dated 1910. 4-storey 9-bay simple classical former Co-Operative drapery warehouse. Predominantly granite to ground floor and red sandstone ashlar to upper floors of principal elevation, red brick to other elevations. Base course, cill courses, eaves cornice, stepped stylised parapet. Canted oriels to outer bays.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: predominantly original openings to ground floor excepting outer left, although now obscured by later signage. Canted oriels to outer bays rise from 1st to 3rd floors. Inner 7 bays, lettering divides 1st and 2nd floors, 'KINNING PARK CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY LTD' and 2nd and 3rd floors, '1910'.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows.
INTERIOR: ground floor has large cast-iron columns with composite-inspired capitals with floral motifs.
This simple building lies in a wider area which has changed dramatically within the last 50 years. The block comprising Coburg Street, Oxford Street, Bridge Street and Norfolk Street is one of the few remaining blocks which has its near-original footprint. 12-20 Coburg Street's interest lies in its contribution to Glasgow's retail history. The entire block was packed with drapery warehouses in the early 20th century and now few reminders of that concentration of the industry remain. The Post Office Directory for 1910-11 notes that there were drapers, hatters, tailors, and hosiers in the immediate area, as well as a blouse specialist, boot factory and cap maker. The Kinning Park Co-operative Society's registered office was at 12 Coburg Street in 1910-11.
The Kinning Park Co-operative Society had three buildings in the block of which 12-20 Coburg Street and 61 Bridge Street (see separate listing) survive. The first and main warehouse immediately to the north of 61 Bridge Street has been demolished. It is likely that all these buildings were linked at one time. 12-20 Coburg Street formed the first addition to the main warehouse in 1910 (Bruce & Hay's plans are dated 8th April 1909) in 1935.
Other nearby listed buildings