This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8939 / 55°53'37"N
Longitude: -4.6274 / 4°37'38"W
OS Eastings: 235797
OS Northings: 669869
OS Grid: NS357698
Mapcode National: GBR 39.1R3X
Mapcode Global: WH2MR.W4M0
Entry Name: The Cross and Lochwinnoch Road, Old Primary School with Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 2 December 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397851
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50022
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverclyde East
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
1873 with slightly later additions (see Notes). Single storey, roughly cruciform-plan gabled former board school with tripartite window and stone bird-cage bell-cote to N gable; gabled porch set in NE re-entrant angle. Whinstone and sandstone random rubble with droved sandstone ashlar dressings. Discontinuous base course; eaves cornice; long and short quoins with raised quoin strips; raised chamfered window margins; paired windows with raised long and short margins to S wing. Porch with stop-chamfered, shoulder-arched opening; bipartite window to left. Ashlar tablet to E gable inscribed KILMACOLM SCHOOL BOARD; corniced wallhead stack above.
Later entrance to SE re-entrant angle; roll-moulded, depressed-arch architrave; later timber porch with slate roof. Stone-mullioned tripartite window to N gable; small vent over central light; hoodmould; circular vent to gable apex; corniced bell-cote to gable apex with shouldered openings. Shouldered door architrave and window to smaller W wing (see Notes).
Windows and doors boarded-up (windows probably timber sash and case). Ashlar-coped skews with plain skewputts. Decorative octagonal chimney can. Graded grey slate.
INTERIOR: Access not possible 2004
BOUNDARY WALL: coped random rubble boundary wall with ashlar gatepiers; base of Sun Foundary Gas lamp on gatepier.
Occupies prominent site in the centre of Kilmacolm. This was the first Board School to be built in Kilmacolm, following the 1872 Education Act which stated that free schooling should be available for every child. The original building was T-plan and comprised the N, W and E ranges. Kilmacolm was expanding rapidly at this period and the school was extended several times before 1887 when the larger school next door was erected. The S wing was probably the first addition. The smaller W wing was a link-corridor to an addition that has since been demolished. After 1887 this building was used as a Church Hall and ancillary to the new school.
Other nearby listed buildings