This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1513 / 57°9'4"N
Longitude: -2.0981 / 2°5'53"W
OS Eastings: 394164
OS Northings: 806715
OS Grid: NJ941067
Mapcode National: GBR SCG.0N
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.RJ33
Plus Code: 9C9V5W22+GQ
Entry Name: Voluntary Services Aberdeen, Gallowgate
Listing Name: Gallowgate, Voluntary Services Aberdeen
Listing Date: 26 January 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397909
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50053
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Probably early 19th century, NE wing mid to later 19th century, minor later additions. Tall 2-storey former school converted to retail premises late 20th century. Coursed and roughly squared snecked rubble with raised ashlar margins (some altered in brick).
SW (GALLOWGATE) ELEVATION: monumental gabled elevation with large timber shop sign at ground (masking blocked opening) and 2 blocked attic windows.
NW (SEAMOUNT ROAD) ELEVATION: early stepped, blank elevation with some blocked openings to right of centre; 4 set-back regularly-fenestrated bays to left.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4 regularly-fenestrated early bays (grouped 3-1) to left of centre, incorporating taller openings at ground, that to outer left as door below window; flat-roofed entrance bay in re-entrant angle to right and later piended wing projecting at outer right.
Largely 3-, 6- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Truncated rubble stacks with thackstanes, and coped ashlar stacks with some polygonal cans. Ashlar-coped skews and moulded skewputts.
INTERIOR: plain interiors retaining some plain cornicing, boarded dadoes, architraved openings and dog-leg staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters.
Few early granite structures have survived in the Gallowgate making the early stonework of the SW and NW elevations particularly valuable survivors of early building in this area. The fact that the property follows the plan of narrow rig development, with traditional gable-end to the street, stretching from SW to NE, further elevates the historic importance of the building. The early south-west gabled range is probably the former St Margaret's Home, a little-altered building which subsequently became St Margaret's school and was later taken over as a state school before closure in the late 20th century when the whole property was converted to a warehouse/shop by Voluntary Services Aberdeen. The later wing may be contemporary with the nearby St Margaret of Scotland Episcopal Church (separately listed at category 'B') built in 1870 to the design of James Matthews.
Other nearby listed buildings