This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7703 / 55°46'13"N
Longitude: -3.8597 / 3°51'35"W
OS Eastings: 283427
OS Northings: 654559
OS Grid: NS834545
Mapcode National: GBR 11HQ.5C
Mapcode Global: WH4QZ.P778
Plus Code: 9C7RQ4CR+44
Entry Name: 322 Morningside Road, Morningside Chapel
Listing Name: Morningside Chapel, 322 and 324 Morningside Road, Former School
Listing Date: 3 May 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398003
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50123
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Murdostoun
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Early to earlier 19th century 2-storey 3-bay L-plan former school with Gothic schoolroom wing to rear. Squared and snecked stugged cream sandstone with droved dressings. Polygonal stacks, 18-pane glazing. Part roofless and in poor condition (2005).
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical with central 2-leaf 4-panel timber door with simple 4-pane rectangular fanlight above. Later low brick wall forms L-shape at entrance. To left, single storey single bay section.
N ELEVATION: dominated by large single storey projecting Gothic wing with pointed arch windows terminating in a broad gable with tripartite Gothic window, the outer lights narrower.
Some windows boarded up, predominantly timber sash and case windows with 18-pane glazing. No slates extant. Paired diagonally-set gablehead stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen (2005).
This well-detailed and good quality building is located just to the South of Morningside itself. It appears on the 1st edition map as a School but is not annotated as this by the 2nd edition map of 1892-7. It is likely that it was built in response to the 1832 Education Act when a good many schools were constructed across the country. This area of Lanarkshire was largely industrial at the time and the school may have had a connection with the nearby Chapel Colliery. Presumably the schoolhouse with accommodation for the schoolmaster or mistress was contained in the house and the schoolroom in the Gothic wing to the rear.
The quality of the detailing sets this building apart - from the polygonal stacks to the unusual 18-pane glazing. The use of the Gothic style for the schoolroom to the rear is an interesting and unusual feature. It might also suggest a church link in the provision of the school.
Currently (2005) the building is in poor repair with no slates to the schoolhouse and little remaining of the roof timbers and vegetation growing in the schoolroom.