This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1183 / 56°7'6"N
Longitude: -3.8015 / 3°48'5"W
OS Eastings: 288089
OS Northings: 693195
OS Grid: NS880931
Mapcode National: GBR 1J.LHY7
Mapcode Global: WH5QD.KGZY
Plus Code: 9C8R459X+89
Entry Name: Claremont Grove, 21 Claremont
Listing Name: 21 Claremont, Claremont Grove Including Outbuildings, Summerhouse, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers and Garden Features
Listing Date: 6 September 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398052
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50151
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Clackmannanshire South
Traditional County: Clackmannanshire
Late 19th century 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan classical villa with 1913 neo-Georgian extension by William Kerr of John Melvin and Son to NW. Rectangular plan 2-3 storey 5-bay Neo-Georgian villa with extension to NW, single-storey bay to SE. Gabled NW bay with prominent projecting polygonal stair tower. Squared stugged grey sandstone with ashlar dressings. Ashlar to stair tower. Base course, eaves cornice. Raised long and short quoins. Raised corniced and lugged window surrounds to main block. Segmental-headed Ionic Doorpiece.
PRINCIPAL (NE) ELEVATION: 3-bay symmetrical original block. Corniced ashlar central entrance porch; doorpiece with plain-shafted Ionic columns, open segmental pediment and ovoid finials: timber-panelled door; tall window above porch. Later gable-fronted canted-bay extension with small ground-floor window, rectangular windows to 1st and 2nd floors and bullseye windows to attic. Screen wall extending NW (right) with round-arched doorway. Single window to single-storey bay.
SW (GARDEN) ELEVATION: Canted single bays with polygonal roofs to outer bays of main 3-bay block. Later block has tripartite window to ground, bracketed canted oriel window with recessed aprons to first floor and bipartite above. Polygonal-ended timber and iron conservatory projects to SW.
INTERIOR: parquet-floored and oak-panelled entrance hall with lugged stone fireplace; false-beamed ceiling with decorative plaster panels of floral and plant motifs. Stone and marble fireplaces to main reception rooms. Glazed timber doors with leaded margins. Glazed tile kitchen. Built-in furniture to scullery, butler's pantry and upstairs corridor. Stone-floored heated conservatory with cast iron shelving (Mackenzie and Moncur Ltd).
Predominantly timber sash and case windows. 12-pane, 15-pane and 18-pane to front elevation. 4-pane and plate glass to garden front. Pitched roof, graded grey slates. Corniced wallhead stacks with circular clay cans.
OUTBUILDINGS, SUMMERHOUSE, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GARDEN FEATURES: flat-roofed stone outbuildings to NW. Square-plan brick and timber summerhouse with multi-paned Diocletian windows and pitched clay tile roof. Stone rubble boundary walls with flat copes and square-plan ashlar gatepiers. Stone rubble terrace wall immediately to SW of house, quatrefoil-plam pond to centre of garden and Japanese garden with tiered concrete pond to bottom of garden.
Although the original building was a relatively plain late 19th century villa, Claremont Grove has an extension and interior work that are exceptional examples of the work of William Kerr (1866-1940). The condition and survival of the interior and features such as the greenhouse are remarkable and the house appears to have retained much of the 1913 garden scheme.
The precise date of construction of the original house is unknown, but it is thought to have been commissioned for William Thomson Procter a member of the Forrester-Paton family. It is assumed that the majority of the interior and probably the front porch were designed by Kerr, as there is a broad continuity in the decoration of both parts of the house. Few late 19th century internal features survive, these include the SE stair with cast iron baluster panels and some of the cornicing. It is thought that the house was substantially remodelled, which may have included the relocation of the service area. The original central gate was relocated c1913.The eclectic practice of John Melvin and Sons was extremely popular during the late 19th and early 20th century development of Claremont and were responsible for a number of villas in Claremont, including no 33, no 35 (Craigmyle), no 39, (Claremont House) (1901-2) (All C(S) Listed) and, most importantly, The Gean (1912) (A-Listed), with which Claremont Grove has a number of elements in common. William Kerr worked closely for the Forrester-Paton family from 1902, when he was brought to Alloa to design the Kilncraigs offices.
Other nearby listed buildings