This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8452 / 55°50'42"N
Longitude: -4.4287 / 4°25'43"W
OS Eastings: 248032
OS Northings: 663997
OS Grid: NS480639
Mapcode National: GBR 3K.4NBX
Mapcode Global: WH3P5.YB8V
Entry Name: 50 High Street and 1 Orr Square
Listing Date: 14 November 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398096
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50175
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Paisley East and Central
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
James Steel Maitland, dated 1934. 3-storey (2-storey to rear), piend-roofed office building on steeply sloping site at corner of High Street and Orr Square, with shops at ground, concave curve at corner filled with 2-storey canted window, and horizontal glazing to front and side elevations. Polished sandstone ashlar to principal facades; roughcast rendered brick to Orr square. Glazed shop fronts at ground to High Street with bracketed cornice above fascia that projects to bowed canopy at corner; bands of horizontal windows to 1st and 2nd floor; eaves course; blocking course with projecting copes and raised at corner to form parapet.
FURTHER DETAILS: principal elevation to corner has bowed shop window with original glazing stepped up in 3 sections to follow rising ground; recessed concave section rising through 2 upper floors and terminating in raised parapet with monogram panel; 2-storey metal-framed canted windows. 2 shop fronts retaining some original fabric to High Street elevation; horizontal window bands to first and 2nd floors with 1934 date stone between them. Ashlar façade continues for 1 bay to Orr square elevation with blocked shop window at ground and 2 windows above; 2-bay rendered section beyond with horizontal window bands to left and lower section to right with segmental arch at ground leading to rear courtyard and small window over.
4- and 8-pane lying-pane glazing in metal-framed windows. Rendered stacks with red clay cans. Welsh slate roof.
A good example of the work of J S Maitland. The building has been designed to be seen when approaching along the High Street from the E. When viewed from this direction it is prominent on the street and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape. The treatment of the corner is unusual and effective and the retention of the original glazing at the corner and upper floors contributes significantly to the merit of the building.
James Steel Maitland was one of the most important architects working in Paisley in the first half of the 20th century. He had worked as principal assistant to T G Abercrombie (another leading Paisley architect) from 1920, became a partner in 1923 and continued the practice after Abercrombie's death in 1926. He designed a large number of buildings in Paisley, which at this period were distinguished by their well-proportioned slightly Art Deco facades and bands of horizontal glazing. Other examples in a similar style are numbers 35 High Street and Kelvin House. His most famous building is the Russell Institute.
Other nearby listed buildings