This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9627 / 56°57'45"N
Longitude: -2.2084 / 2°12'30"W
OS Eastings: 387425
OS Northings: 785734
OS Grid: NO874857
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2R5D
Mapcode Global: WH9RN.18N5
Entry Name: 19 Bridgefield Including Milestone and Bridge Pier
Listing Date: 23 March 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398230
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50251
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Mid to later 19th century, extended 1920s by Thomson Joiners. Single storey and raised basement, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, piend-roofed shop and workshop with single storey and attic, 3-bay office; adjacent to the Carron Water and incorporating milestone with re-cut keystone from 1781 bridge. Snecked roughly coursed rubble with large stugged red sandstone quoins; red brick on random rubble basement to N, timber to S and W.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single storey bays to right of centre with broad multi-pane bipartite window (converted from door) at centre and windows abutting eaves in flanking bays, that to right over milestone and inscribed stone off-set in niche at outer right. 2-storey bays to left of centre with part-glazed boarded timber door and 6-pane fanlight to right at ground, small window immediately to left and broad pend opening with 2-leaf boarded timber door beyond; 2 canted dormer windows with modillioned cornices in mansard roof above.
N (CARRON WATER) ELEVATION: ground floor with 5 regularly-disposed tripartite windows, timber display board to outer left and later bay to outer right; basement with small horizontal openings.
Fixed multi-pane glazing patterns and plate glass glazing to dormer windows, all in original timber windows. Grey slates with traditional vertical rooflights to workshop. Coped brick wallhead stack with can.
INTERIOR: vestibule with part-glazed timber doors, one with etched glass worded 'OFFICE', and some multi-pane top lights. Shop (former joiner's workshop) timber-lined with original nail boxes and cupboards lining S wall, and roof timbers of Oregon pine. Timber-lined wall to staircase.
MILESTONE AND BRIDGE PIER: commemorative stone worded 'THEOBALD BARCLAY 1150' 'MATHERS 1351 URIE' (see Notes) from 1781 bridge re-cut and set into wall (see above) below milestone incised with 'BERVIE 10 / L14 / A14'. Square-section, coped, channelled ashlar pier (from former bridge) to NE angle.
Although the 1867 Ordnance Survey Map does not show a building on this site, the current (2005) owner has deeds dating from 1850, showing that he is only the third owner. Built as a joiner's workshop, the basement area continues to be used by Stonehaven Joinery Service. Robert Thomson & Sons built the 1st floor (now the ground floor) and the offices in the 1920s. The ground floor has been used as a shop since the late 1990s, and at least part of the space was used during the 1890s as the office of Stonehaven's Provost. Throughout the past century, and probably before, much of the woodwork in Stonehaven's buildings would have been installed by Thomson's joinery. Drawings found in the roof space include details of brackets to be installed under folding seats at the Chancel in Dunnottar Parish Church, dated 1903 and designed by George Young (Architect) 42 Tay Street, Perth. The Bridge of Stonehaven, over the Carron Water, was built in 1781 by Robert Barclay of Ury as the entrance to his New Town. It had three arches and cost £145, the installation of iron girders in 1885 had concealed the structure with its inscribed keystone at the centre arch. The inscription on the commemorative stone is a copy of that on the keystone, with dates and names referring to 'events in [the] history of the Barclay family, whose ancestor Theobald de Berkeley first came to Scotland in 1150. The family obtained the estate of Mathers in 1351 through the marriage of Alexander Barclay with Catharine, daughter of Sir William Keith, the Earl Marischal'. Further detail (now eroded) below the word 'URIE' formerly read '1647 COND 1781'. This refers to the purchase of Urie in 1647 by David Barclay 'on his return to Scotland, after serving with Gustavus Adolphus' (Eeks). The bridge was widened in 1885 and rebuilt 1973.
Other nearby listed buildings