This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1081 / 56°6'29"N
Longitude: -4.9064 / 4°54'23"W
OS Eastings: 219362
OS Northings: 694398
OS Grid: NS193943
Mapcode National: GBR 06.M1RY
Mapcode Global: WH2LG.LQTT
Entry Name: Carrick Castle, Hillside Place
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398335
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50351
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Lochgoilhead and Kilmorich
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Parish: Lochgoilhead And Kilmorich
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Hillside Place is a rectangular-plan, 3-storey Scots Baronial tenement block, dated 1877. It is evidence of the 19th century tourist trade around Loch Goil. The tenement formos unusual in a semi-rural setting.
The principal (E) elevation of Hillside Place faces the pier, and is a symmetrical composition of 5 bays, with a crowstepped gable to the advanced centre bay. To the ground floor, the 2-leaf door to the centre would have given access through a hall to the stair well; the open well stair with cast-iron balusters gives access to the flats on each floor.
The use of corner bartizans (conical roofs no longer extant) and, on the east and north, dormer headed windows with scrolled and finialled pediments gives the tenement the Scots Baronial character that is typical of the period and would have provided a suitably impressive appearance to appeal to prospective purchasers of the apartments within. These two elevations also feature leaded mansard detailing to the roof, between the dormers. The S and W elevations are much plainer. The west elevation shows clear visual evidence (see the abrupt termination in roof, and the use of rendering rather than rubble) to show that it was intended to build further to the W at one point; this would have created an L-plan building. However, there is no map evidence to suggest that this continuation actually happened; this was perhaps because the take up of the existing apartments was less enthusiastic than originally expected.
The NE corner of the tenement, at ground floor, was occupied by a Post Office; hence the larger, shop style windows.
Admission to apartments not gained at time of resurvey (2004)
Predominantly rubble; ashlar sandstone to ground floor of the front elevation and dressings and mouldings. Piended roof; slated; leaded mansard detailing to east and north elevations. Some wallhead stacks and some mid-pitch stacks, mainly corniced ashlar with circular cans.
Mainly timber 4-pane sash and case windows; doors to east elevation are 2-leaf timber panelled doors; timber and glazed door to the north elevation. The building underwent renovation in the late 20th century, and it is likely that many, if not all, of the windows and doors date from tihis period.
The construction of Hillside Place began in 1877, the same year as the original timber pier was built.
It was built by a Glasgow mason, Peter Ferguson, on land feued from Lieutenant-General Sir John Douglas of Glenfinart. The construction of the pier meant that the steamers that sailed down Loch Goil could now stop at Carrick and that passengers could disembark there. Hillside Place therefore appears to have been a speculative venture, astutely intended to provide accommodation for the new influx of visitors. Prior to the pier, Carrick would have consisted only of the local farms and associated accommodation for the agricultural workers and some fishermen. Hillside was one of the very first buildings at Carrick that was built as a result of the tourist trade, a trend continued with the construction of several villas for the use of Glasgow merchants. The Argyll Valuation Roll of 1880-81 shows that Peter Ferguson owned several other properties in Carrick, all probably built by him as speculative ventures.
The original Carrick Castle pier was built by engineers Wharrie, Colledge and Brand. It closed in 1945 and was replaced by the current concrete pier, built by the MOD in the 1950s
Other nearby listed buildings