This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1629 / 56°9'46"N
Longitude: -4.8979 / 4°53'52"W
OS Eastings: 220146
OS Northings: 700470
OS Grid: NN201004
Mapcode National: GBR 06.HPNG
Mapcode Global: WH2L8.QCV9
Plus Code: 9C8Q5472+4R
Entry Name: The Peel House Including Boundary Walls And Gatepiers, Inverlounin Road, Lochgoilhead
Listing Name: Lochgoilhead, Inverlounin Road, the Peel House Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398346
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50359
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Lochgoilhead and Kilmorich
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Parish: Lochgoilhead And Kilmorich
Traditional County: Argyllshire
The Peel House is a one and a half storey, T-plan villa with overhanging eaves and, situated on the east bank of Loch Goil. Built circa 1846, with the rear wing added in the early 20th century. The Peel House is a little altered example of well detailed cottage-style villas in the area.
The Peel House is located on a plot that slopes down from Inverlounin Road to the banks of the loch, and the front (W) elevation of the house faces over the loch. The front elevation is of three bays, with a gable-ended bay to the right, and a small gabled porch supported on columns to centre. On the ground floor there is a double window and a canted bay window, designed to allow the principal rooms which they serve enjoy an excellent view of the loch. To the first floor there is a segmentally headed window to the right, round-headed window to left and small central window, both with gabled dormer-heads, all lighting bedrooms.
Both the side elevations have single storey lean-to additions, which were added before 1870. The 2 storey rear wing was added in the early 20th century to provide utility accommodation on the ground floor, and a bathroom on the 1st floor.
The Peel House has some ornate plasterwork to the ground floor, and a grey marble columned chimneypiece.
Harled (painted pink), with white painted narrow stone quoins and margins. Windows mostly timber sash and case; 2, 4 and 8 pane to front elevation, mostly 10 and 12 horizontal panes to sides and rear. 2 flat-head dormers to rear. Graded slate pitched roof with overhanging bracketed eaves; two corniced ashlar gable-head stacks with octangular cans. Mix of plastic and cast iron rainwater goods.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS
Forming the boundary with Inverlounin Road is a random rubble wall with a pair of square-plan painted ashlar gatepiers.
The Peel House is the central house of a group of five which were built on neighbouring feus along the banks of Loch Goil. They were all probably built within a few years of each other, and the similarity of original features suggests that they were probably designed and built by the same person, who constructed them speculatively to cater for the large number of Glasgow merchants who were increasingly spending weekends and summers around Loch Goil. Although similar, the five villas are each slightly different; The Peel House has a greater level of detailing than most of the others in the group.
At the foot of the garden are stone steps leading down to the loch beach with flanking rubble revetment walls and square-plan concrete and rubble lookout platforms to either end.
Other nearby listed buildings