This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1697 / 56°10'10"N
Longitude: -4.9002 / 4°54'0"W
OS Eastings: 220038
OS Northings: 701231
OS Grid: NN200012
Mapcode National: GBR 06.H94V
Mapcode Global: WH2L8.P6S3
Plus Code: 9C8Q539X+VW
Entry Name: Greenbank Including Boundary Walls, Lochgoilhead
Listing Name: Lochgoilhead, Greenbank Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398342
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50356
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Lochgoilhead and Kilmorich
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Parish: Lochgoilhead And Kilmorich
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Greenbank is a rectangular-plan, 3-bay, single storey villa with attic breaking overhanging eaves; it was built in 1848-49 as two flats.
Greenbank is a little altered example of the local villa architecture, which contributes to the streetscape and because of its original function as a flatted villa is unusual for the area.
Greenbank is situated near the centre of Lochgoilhead, and occupies a sloping site overlooking the loch. The front (W) elevation, of three bays, has a central timber-panelled door, leading into a small vestibule, with a two-pane rectangular fanlight above. To the 1st floor are 3 dormer-headed windows breaking the eaves, all with overhanging sparred eaves; the central window is detailed slightly differently and is a likely to be a later 19th century addition.
The rear (E) elevation has a 20th century flat-roofed single storey kitchen extension to the left. To the right are the altered and curtailed steps which provided external access to the first floor flat; the central double window was formed from the original door opening when the villa was converted into a single dwelling (it is unknown when this occurred, but the form of the window suggests early 20th century). Internally, the cornicing of the stair-well also indicates that entry was originally gained from the half-landing.
The interior of Greenbank retains the majority of the original woodwork including doors and architraves, plasterwork including some ornate work to the ground floor and a consoled beam to the ground floor hall; the internal front door has 2 arched lights.
Harled (blue-green in colour) with narrow white painted stone quoins and margins. Mostly timber sash and case windows, 12 horizontal panes to ground floor and
8 horizontal panes to the 1st floor. Pitched graded slate roof with overhanging bracketed eaves; 2 rooflights to rear pitch. 2 painted ashlar corniced gable-head stacks with mostly octangular cans. Mostly plastic rainwater goods.
Random rubble wall forming boundary between garden and road.
During renovations, an unattached stone plaque with the date 1848 was found in the house.
Other nearby listed buildings