This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2429 / 56°14'34"N
Longitude: -4.2129 / 4°12'46"W
OS Eastings: 262960
OS Northings: 707801
OS Grid: NN629078
Mapcode National: GBR 11.BMJV
Mapcode Global: WH4NH.8B3Y
Entry Name: South Church Street, Callander Kirk Hall (Former Free Church School) Including Low Boundary Wall and Piers
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398390
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50393
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Dated 1849. Symmetrical rectangular-plan single storey 7-bay former school with advanced gabled central entrance bay. Later alterations to rear (SE) and 1991 adjoined wing to side NE. Of good local historical importance being the former local Free Church School (see notes), later used as the St. Bride's Church Hall, and now used as a general local community hall. The building is architecturally interesting and forms part of an attractive grouping with the neighbouring Callander Kirk (see separate listing).
Imposing pilastered and corniced doorpiece with a surmounting curved pediment incorporating a square date stone to the advanced entrance bay of the principal (NW) elevation. A margined ventilation opening with painted timber louvers sits above the door within the gablehead. 3 evenly arranged windows are arranged to each setback flanking side. To the NE there is a short modern linking extension which gives access to the 1991 single storey wing.
When the modern wing was built the interior of the hall was refurbished, so there is now no original fabric visibly remaining, (2004). The hall is currently split into to 2 large rooms with various rooms running to the rear. 19th century maps show a T-shaped outshot to the rear, however this has been filled in with various alterations in the 20th century creating an overall rectangular-plan extension to the rear.
Coursed rubble 'pudding stone', lined to principal elevation. Sandstone ashlar dressings to openings and quoins. Raised margins resting on small brackets to windows and ventilation openings with lugged detailing to upper part. Predominantly lying-pane timber sash and case windows. Timber panelled twin leaf main door with geometric glazed letterbox fanlight. Slightly overhanging grey slate pitched roof. Timber painted scalloped bargeboard with drop pendant to gabled entrance bay. Exposed painted rafters to gablends with simple painted drop pendants.
Low coped random rubble wall running to principal elevation and to NE.
B-Group with Callander Kirk. The building of the school was made possible by a large financial donation made by local merchant banker Donald McLaren. Mr McLaren was a very prominent figure in Callander and a keen supporter of the Free Church, it is recorded that he guaranteed 30 [pounds stirling] per anum to the salary of the headmaster and 8 [pounds stirling] to his assistant (A. Thompson). The school offered secondary instruction in such subjects as Mathematics, French, Latin and Greek.
Mr McLaren bequeathed a trust fund to be specifically directed for educational purposes, this became known as the McLaren Trust. In 1887 the trust was reviewed by the Educational Endowments Commission, being re-named 'The McLaren Educational Trust'. It was decided in 1890 to close the school and merge it with the local parochial school. For further information see Callander Primary School (formerly McLaren High School) list description.
With the building no longer housing the school it was used as the church hall to the adjacent St. Bride's Church, now known as Callander Kirk, 2004 (see separate listing). A large refurbishment scheme was carried out in the late 20th century including the building of a new wing. The hall was re-opened by Michael Forsyth M.P. in March 1991. The hall is currently used by Callander Kirk and by local community groups.
It of interest to note that the bell to the former St. Kessog's Church, now known as the Rob Roy and Trossachs Visitor Centre, 2004 (see separate listing) is set as a feature within the garden to the NE of the hall.
Other nearby listed buildings