This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1916 / 56°11'29"N
Longitude: -4.257 / 4°15'25"W
OS Eastings: 260043
OS Northings: 702176
OS Grid: NN600021
Mapcode National: GBR 0Z.FX74
Mapcode Global: WH3MJ.LM2T
Plus Code: 9C8Q5PRV+J6
Entry Name: Gatepiers And Gates, Castle Rednock Farmhouse Including Boundary Wall To South
Listing Name: Castle Rednock Farmhouse Including Boundary Wall to South, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398403
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50403
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Port Of Menteith
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Parish: Port Of Menteith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Earlier 19th century 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse with single storey addition to rear. Located on a sloping site to the N of Rednock House (see separate list description), this improvement period farm was originally part of the Rednock Estate. A good quality example of a relatively unaltered farmhouse of this type, with attractive lying pane glazing and partly constructed with stone from Castle of Rednock, a ruined 16th century circular tower situated immediately to the SW of the farmhouse (a Scheduled Ancient Monument). There is a much-altered court of steading buildings to the E of the farmhouse.
Symmetrical principal (S) elevation: Central front door with 3-light fanlight and later gabled timber porch flanked by canted bay windows to ground floor, 3 evenly spaced windows above. Broad W gable with single window to ground floor; blank E gable with modern timber lean-to garage attached. To rear, single-storey extension to right with small barred windows to N and W elevations, perhaps originally a game store, small modern brick porch to centre, single kitchen window to left. To 1st floor, 2 single windows flank centre stair window.
Simple rectangular plan, with 4 rooms leading off a central hall to ground floor. Timber stair with decorative cast-iron balusters and painted mahogany handrail. Hall and sitting room have plastered ceilings with cornicing (egg and dart motif to sitting room), timber boarded ceiling to rest of house. Timber panelled interior doors and timber working shutters throughout.
Exposed coursed and snecked rubble with quoins and rybats to principal (S) and rear (N) elevations; rendered side elevations. Timber and half-glazed panelled front door. Predominantly 12-pane lying pane timber sash and case windows. Main farmhouse has a pitched roof; rear extension is pitched to W and piended to E. Graded grey slates to roofs. 2 gablehead stacks, curved at base, with yellow clay cans. Stack to W is corniced and rendered; E stack is a brick replacement. Some cast iron rainwater goods.
Boundary Wall, Gatepiers And Gates
Low rubble retaining wall to S of farmhouse, with attractive painted wrought iron gates and gatepiers at either end.
There is a modernised steading complex to E, still used for agricultural purposes. Rubble and rendered walls with modern corrugated iron/asbestos roofs and various openings.
According to the present tenant (2005), the original farmhouse was a single storey cottage located in the N range of the steading complex. This is now a grain store and little evidence of its previous existence as a cottage remains. According to James Stobie's 1783 Map of the Counties of Perth and Clackmannan, the previous, much more modest farm on the site was called Balmeanoch. The Ordnance Survey Name Book (1898) describes Castle Rednock as a 'fine farmhouse and offices - built from the material of the old castle'.
Other nearby listed buildings