This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1865 / 56°11'11"N
Longitude: -4.2726 / 4°16'21"W
OS Eastings: 259053
OS Northings: 701648
OS Grid: NN590016
Mapcode National: GBR 0Z.G63D
Mapcode Global: WH3MJ.BRNP
Plus Code: 9C8Q5PPG+JX
Entry Name: Auchyle
Listing Name: Auchyle Farmhouse
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 348598
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15075
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Port Of Menteith
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Parish: Port Of Menteith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Circa 1800 traditional 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse with unusual piend roofed bothy adjoining to E. Set back from the main road, Auchyle is situated just to the NE of the village of Port of Menteith and was originally part of the Rednock Estate. A good example of a relatively unaltered improvement period farmhouse.
Near symmetrical principal (S) elevation with central door flanked by windows to side and above. Single windows on ground and 1st floors of W return. Lower 2-storey bothy set back to right (E), with small ground floor window to front elevation, modern glazing to side and single 1st floor window to rear. 2 later single storey additions to rear of bothy and house with various openings. Largely blank rear wall of farmhouse, except for single window to centre.
Roughcast with painted sandstone margins. Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows, modern rooflights to front. Pitched roof to house, piended roofs to bothy and rear addition to house, flat roof to rear addition to bothy, all with new grey slates. Rendered coped gablehead stacks with circular clay cans.
Admission not possible in 2004. However, according to the present tenant, it has a circular stone wheel stair, a feature of a few of the 18th century houses in the parish. The first floor of the bothy is accessible by ladder from the kitchen below.
There was formerly a U-plan steading behind the farmhouse to the N, demolished July 2005.
The farm was originally known as Easter Auchyle to distinguish it from the original Auchyle, which was located to the W of Port of Menteith (now completely destroyed).
Other nearby listed buildings