This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1767 / 56°10'36"N
Longitude: -4.3168 / 4°19'0"W
OS Eastings: 256276
OS Northings: 700645
OS Grid: NN562006
Mapcode National: GBR 0X.GVK3
Mapcode Global: WH3MP.N0LP
Plus Code: 9C8Q5MGM+M7
Entry Name: East Range
Listing Name: Malling, Steading Including Horse Mill
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398426
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50420
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Port Of Menteith
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Parish: Port Of Menteith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Probably early 19th century farm steading. It is as a good example of a relatively unaltered improvement period steading with one of the few surviving horse mills in the area. Situated due W of Lake of Menteith, the steading is plain but substantial, which suggests that Malling was a productive farm. It originally formed the heart of the Malling Estate, owned by the Duke of Montrose. The steading is located immediately to the SE of Malling Mill (see separate listing), a water mill which dates back to the 17th century. The horse mill is the successor to this earlier mill, and represents the evolution of power sources during the agricultural revolution in the early 19th century.
Composed of central (originally U-shaped) section flanked to E by an access lane and threshing barn with horse mill; and to W by single storey range. The buildings are constructed of random rubble with traces of whitewash, some rubble quoins and lintels to various openings. Slated roofs throughout with various rooflights.
CENTRAL RANGE: To N, single storey range composed of 2 adjoining buildings with different roofs: to E, piend roofed barn, while building to W has a pitched roof and is currently used as stables (2004). Access to E barn is from the S, while the stables are accessed from the N via 2 timber boarded doors with flagstone thresholds. Variety of openings to E barn, including timber multi-pane window with shutters to lower sections. Concrete floors throughout. Internally remnants of roof supports below the existing wallhead suggest that the range has been heightened. This and blocked door with timber lintel to E barn indicate that the N range has undergone alterations, reflecting the changing agricultural use of the building. 20th century corrugated iron and timber barn attached to N elevation of E barn. All that remains of the former S and W wings of the original U-shaped central range is the rubble wallhead. These now form the lower exterior walls to a large 20th century brick and concrete cattle court.
E RANGE: 2-storey piend-roofed threshing barn with horse mill to rear. Various openings including, to principal (W) elevation facing lane, 2 timber boarded doors to ground floor, hayloft door above. To N (side) elevation, large timber doors spanning entire width of elevation (20th century insertion?) with pair of small louvred openings above. Blank S (side) elevation except for fine ventilation slit to centre of 1st floor. Rear (E) elevation: substantial pentagonal horse mill with corrugated iron roof adjoining barn, 20th century corrugated iron lean-to attached to right. 2 pairs of timber doors to either side of horse mill, exposed rafters with central supporting beam to interior. Interior of threshing barn not seen at time of resurvey (2004).
W RANGE: Long single storey range. The E elevation looks over the central complex. To left, piend-roofed bothy with single timber casement window, small rendered stack with clay can, timber boarded door to S return. To right, range continues with pitched roof at lower level, 2 boarded doors, timber shed attached to N. Boarded door to N return. Rear (W) elevation is blank except for a small timber casement window to bothy.
Situated to the NE of the farmhouse, Malling House (not listed, 2004), there has been a farm on the Malling site for centuries. According to Hutchison (1899) the annual St Michael's Fair was held in September 'on the farm of Milling' until the end of the 17th century. Both Malling Mill and the farm appear on James Stobie's 1783 map of Perth and Clackmannan.