This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.182 / 56°10'55"N
Longitude: -4.3014 / 4°18'5"W
OS Eastings: 257248
OS Northings: 701206
OS Grid: NN572012
Mapcode National: GBR 0X.GKNC
Mapcode Global: WH3MH.WWW4
Plus Code: 9C8Q5MJX+RC
Entry Name: Portend Farmhouse
Listing Name: Portend Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398432
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50423
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Port Of Menteith
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Parish: Port Of Menteith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Early 19th century, possibly incorporating earlier fabric. Traditional 2-storey, 3-bay improvement period farmhouse with possibly contemporary larder/dairy and 20th century addition to rear. It is situated on the N shore of Lake of Menteith, just to the W of the village of Port of Menteith. Portend is of local importance as a good example of a relatively unaltered vernacular farmhouse. Internally, it unusually has principal rooms on 1st floor ' surprising for a building of this type and adding dignity.
Near symmetrical S elevation with later central gabled porch, door to E. 2-storey bothy set back to right with ground and 1st floor windows in E gable. 20th century single storey kitchen to rear with modern glazing. 2 small 1st floor windows to rear of house (modern glazing). Single storey larder/dairy advanced to right. Entrance to larder/dairy in gable, providing access between farmyard and house, concrete floor with slate shelf within. Central door with flanking windows in W elevation of dairy/larder (currently used for storage, 2004), also providing separate access to the house. Single ground floor window in E elevation and 1st floor window in W elevation of main house.
2-leaf timber panelled door into hall. Unusual half-turn staircase with shallow treads. Timber panelled interior doors. Timber working shutters. The principal reception rooms are on the 1st floor, with fine early 19th century timber fireplaces, deep skirting, dado and picture rails. 2-storey bothy accessed off kitchen with steep boxed-in timber stair to upstairs room. Pitch pine-lined sloping attic ceiling with wooden floor.
Roughcast to house, whitewashed rubble larder/dairy. Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows, modern rooflights to front and rear. Pitched roofs throughout. The house and bothy appear to have been reslated in late 20th century; graded grey slates to larder/dairy and porch. Rendered coped gablehead stacks with circular clay cans to house. Timber bargeboards throughout. Some cast-iron rainwater goods.
To the N of the farmhouse there are a series of modernised farm buildings, still used for agricultural purposes. Built of whitewashed rubble with modern corrugated iron roofs and various openings, they are situated between the farmhouse and the main Stirling-Aberfoyle road.
Portend was formerly part of the Malling Estate owned by Duke of Montrose. The estate was sold off in the mid 20th century.
Portend has many historical associations and there has been a farmhouse on the site for centuries. Portend appears on Roy's Military Survey of Scotland (1747-55). It was originally part of the pleasure grounds of the Earls of Menteith, who lived on the island of Inchtalla in the Lake of Menteith between 1427 and 1694. The lands to the south of the farm still have many fine ancient trees. It also served as their home farm. There was a small mansion house or superior farmhouse on the site in 1651, where Charles II ratified a series of warrants (Hutchison 1899, 40-44).
Other nearby listed buildings