This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0036 / 56°0'13"N
Longitude: -4.9573 / 4°57'26"W
OS Eastings: 215699
OS Northings: 682910
OS Grid: NS156829
Mapcode National: GBR 04.TNBW
Mapcode Global: WH2M0.TCKD
Plus Code: 9C8Q223V+C3
Entry Name: Gatepiers And Gates, Including Boundary Walls, Cashlie, Shore Road, Kilmun
Listing Name: Kilmun, Shore Road, Cashlie, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398452
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50436
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Dunoon and Kilmun
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Cashlie, a single-storey 5-bay astylar roughly C-plan classical house built c.1830, is a good example of a simple classical villa and one of the earliest villas along the Kilmun Shore. The house stands out for its position in the early 19th century development of the shore as well as for its formal design, including such elements as the impressive oval-domed entrance hall and distinctive Greek features.
Description And Development: Cashlie is marked on a map of 1839 on 'Lamond's feu,' and the house appears to have changed little since then. In the centre the entrance is through a concave profile door surround. There are raised moulded stone architraves to the front windows. The roof is piended and slightly bellcast with substantial ridge-stacks. Two projections to the rear enclose a small courtyard. These rear wings have been converted from service to domestic use.
Interior: the interior includes a large oval dome with a central lantern and a Greek frieze of griffins and vases, Greek key and palmette cornices and shell niches. The main reception rooms have cornices with Greek keys and palmettes and shell niches. Some original joinery survives, including panelled timber doors and shutters.
Materials: whinstone rubble with sandstone dressings. Predominantly modern windows. Graded slate roof, large corniced ridge stacks with polygonal clay cans.
Boundary Walls, Gatepiers And Gates: the house is bounded by rubble walls. A pair of substantial octagonal gatepiers, probably of 19th century origin with a cast iron gate, are a late 20th century addition to the SE entrance.
On the O.S. 1st and 2nd edition maps Cashlie is known as Kilmun Cottage. The house later (c.1864) became the home of the shipbuilders and steamship owners, the Campbells of Kilmun. In the early 20th century the house was bequeathed to the Glasgow Abstainers and was used by them in connection with the nearby Convalescent Home (see separate listing)
The buildings now known as 'Hollytrees' appear to have been built as outbuildings for Cashlie.
Although Kilmun is an early settlement, it remained a small village until the 1820s. From 1827 David Napier, a marine engineer, purchased land along the shore of Loch Long, built a pier, a hotel and several villas (Including the 'Tea Caddies'- also listed) at Kilmun and opened a new route from Glasgow to Inverary via Loch Eck. Although Cashlie is outwith Napier's feu, the development of the site belongs to the same period of expansion, which led to a string of villas as far as Blairmore.
Other nearby listed buildings