This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0705 / 56°4'13"N
Longitude: -4.4812 / 4°28'52"W
OS Eastings: 245649
OS Northings: 689183
OS Grid: NS456891
Mapcode National: GBR 0Q.PF8J
Mapcode Global: WH3N0.4PD4
Plus Code: 9C8Q3GC9+6G
Entry Name: Bridge, Buchanan Castle Estate
Listing Name: Buchanan Castle Estate, Summerhouse and 3 Bridges Along Cascade Walk,
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398493
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50458
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
This summer house, and 3 associated footbridges, likely to have been built in the early 19th century for the Duke of Montrose, form a landscape feature known as the 'Cascade Walk' along a picturesque wooded section of the Doghouse Burn. They interesting examples of 19th century garden building architecture. The policies of Buchanan Castle are included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland (Vol. 4, 291).
Positioned on the N bank of the burn, just below a small waterfall, the summer house is a small square-plan, single room building with a large round-arched opening to the gabled S elevation, allowing people to sit within and view the burn. The roof is barrel-vaulted within, but follows a slated pitched form (in bad condition) on the exterior. The summerhouse is built of random rubble; the S gable has an overhanging stone 'eaves' detail.
Located downstream at intervals along the burn between the summerhouse, and the Duchess Bridge (see separate listing), 3 small rustic hump-backed footbridges crossing the burn, each built of rubble with a single segmental span.
The burn used to be dammed upriver from the summerhouse, so that when the Duchess or Duke visited it, they could order the factor to release the dammed water to create a more spectacular cascade. Much of the dam structure remains.
An estate record dated 1817-18 (GD220/6/88) refers to a bridge to be built 'with rough stone like that in the Cascade Walk.
Buchanan Castle Estate was held the Buchanans from the 13th century until it was bought by the 3rd Marquis (later Duke) in 1682. In 1724 the earlier dwelling was demolished and a large new house constructed. Over the next 130 years, the house and its surrounding estate underwent several periods of alteration and development, culminating in the construction of Buchanan Castle in 1852.
Other nearby listed buildings