This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0676 / 56°4'3"N
Longitude: -4.4774 / 4°28'38"W
OS Eastings: 245868
OS Northings: 688851
OS Grid: NS458888
Mapcode National: GBR 0Q.PN42
Mapcode Global: WH3N0.6R4C
Plus Code: 9C8Q3G9F+22
Entry Name: Ns45869/88850, Well House, Buchanan Castle Estate
Listing Name: Buchanan Castle Estate, Well House, Ns45869/88850
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398487
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50454
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Probably dating to the early 19th century, this circular well house is situated on the edge of a stand of trees, to the E of Old Buchanan House. It is a circular, rubble-built building divided into 5 bays by 6 perpendicular ashlar buttresses with coping and square capstones. To the SE bay is a timber-boarded door with a blind rectangular opening above, and the 2 flanking bays have narrow round-arched openings, with blind square openings above and ashlar margins. The shallow domed brick roof is concealed below the corniced wallhead. Inside the well house is a stone flagged floor with a central circular well shaft.
The Well House is part of the Buchanan Castle estate. The policies of Buchanan Castle are included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland (Vol. 4, 291).
Buchanan Castle Estate was held the Buchanans from the 13th century until it was bought by the 3rd Marquis (later Duke) in 1682. In 1724 the earlier dwelling was demolished and a large new house constructed. Over the next 130 years, the house and its surrounding estate underwent several periods of alteration and development, culminating in the construction of Buchanan Castle in 1852.
Other nearby listed buildings