This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0162 / 56°0'58"N
Longitude: -3.6116 / 3°36'41"W
OS Eastings: 299627
OS Northings: 681540
OS Grid: NS996815
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.SYCD
Mapcode Global: WH5R2.H1DQ
Plus Code: 9C8R298Q+F8
Entry Name: Gates And Railings And Ancillary Structures, 12-16 (Even Nos) Corbiehall Including Boundary Walls
Listing Name: 12-16 (Even Nos) Corbiehall Including Boundary Walls, Gates and Railings and Ancillary Structures
Listing Date: 23 March 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398550
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50482
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness
Traditional County: West Lothian
1891. 2-storey 7-bay classical former police station with staff accommodation. Squared and snecked tooled sandstone. Chamfered openings. Piended advanced outer 2 bays with consoled pedimented entrances. Eaves course. Piended roof. Some bipartite and tripartite windows with stone mullions. Single storey wing to rear houses former cells.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical. Central 3-bay section with central bipartite windows flanked by single light windows, excepting that to ground right which is door with simple rectangular fanlight above. Storeys divided by sign, now removed, with lettering 'POLICE STATION', now partly readable. To left, advanced 2-bay section with tripartite windows to outer bay, inner bay with door at ground, single light window above forming staff quarters. Door with semicircular fanlight above and consoled pediment. Advanced 2-bay section to right mirror image of left.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows with horns. Graded grey slates. Wallhead stacks to W and E, further ridge stacks.
INTERIOR: good. Staff quarters have good quality timber staircase. Some original tiled chimneypieces. Some timber panelling to dado. 4 or 6-panel timber doors. In police station itself, 4 cells, altered, perhaps 3 originally. High small external openings now blocked.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURES: to NE, single storey 3-bay snecked sandstone flat-roofed structure with stack to rear. In poor repair. To NW, small brick-built lean to sheds.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND RAILINGS: to N and W high sandstone rubble wall. To E, lower sandstone rubble wall with flat coping. To S, short section of railing outside station itself with slender cast-iron gatepiers at entrance. To W and E, slender cast-iron gatepiers, that to E with timber boarded gate.
A large and impressive former combined police station and residence in a simple classical style, this building forms an important part of the streetscape in Corbiehall. Despite its changes of use the interior remains substantially intact, especially the staff quarters contained in the advanced end bays. Salmon notes that in 1913 there was one Inspector, one Sergeant and 10 Constables at the Chief Police Station at Corbiehall and that there were district stations at Grangepans and Richmond. It is likely that the Inspector and Sergeant were allocated the staff accommodation in the end bays. It is a distinct period piece for its building type and a particularly instructive example as such.
Other nearby listed buildings