History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bank Street, Coatbridge War Memorial

A Category C Listed Building in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8578 / 55°51'28"N

Longitude: -4.0432 / 4°2'35"W

OS Eastings: 272206

OS Northings: 664626

OS Grid: NS722646

Mapcode National: GBR 006P.GZ

Mapcode Global: WH4QH.V1V4

Entry Name: Bank Street, Coatbridge War Memorial

Listing Date: 29 June 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398574

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50509

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Coatbridge

County: North Lanarkshire

Town: Coatbridge

Electoral Ward: Coatbridge West

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Coatbridge

Description

Edith Burnet Hughes, 1924. Circular grey granite classical colonnaded open tempieto style war memorial with circular stepped plinth and central copper urn on landscaped corner site with pair of separate side flanking panels. 6 Corinthian columns with squared lotus leaf capitals supporting plain corniced entablature with carved inscription 'Erected to the memory of the men who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918'. Rectangular vertical panels carved with names to base course with metal circle and sword motif to SW side. Later framed side panels to N and E boundaries dedicated to 1939-45 War.

Statement of Interest

The Coatbridge War Memorial is a good example of an ornate classical war memorial with fine carved granite detailing situated at the edge of the West End Park on a prominent corner location on Bank Street, the main road entering Coatbridge from the W.

Edith Burnett Hughes (1888- 1971) was the niece of the prominent architect Sir John J Burnet who brought her up on the death of her father. She studied at the Sorbonne and was later affiliated with the Glasgow School of Art, being known as one of the Glasgow Girls. She worked in her uncle's office before setting up her own architecture practice specialising in domestic architecture; she is considered to be Britain's first practising female architect.

The War Memorial garden site is enclosed by 20th century metal fencing.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.