This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8833 / 55°52'59"N
Longitude: -3.1172 / 3°7'1"W
OS Eastings: 330209
OS Northings: 666138
OS Grid: NT302661
Mapcode National: GBR 60ND.XV
Mapcode Global: WH6T1.2DW3
Plus Code: 9C7RVVMM+84
Entry Name: Baird Smith Memorial
Listing Name: Baird Smith Memorial
Listing Date: 4 October 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398881
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50605
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bonnyrigg
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1861. Memorial to Dr Richard Smith and his son Richard Baird Smith. Sandstone ashlar. Tall ornately carved Celtic cross, inset with bronze roundels with bas relief profiles, rising from double sarcophagi. Set on large square plinth with carved frieze, shields with Masonic symbols and rope-mould edging. Stepped paved surround with dwarf boundary wall and railings.
The Baird Smith Memorial is a large and imposing monument, set apart by the quality and quantity of its carved details. Its wealth of decorative carving and bronze plaques gives it a grand appearance. It commemorates two important local figures. Dr Richard Smith was a surgeon in the Royal Navy and moved to Lasswade in 1818 to take up private practice. He was highly respected in the area and was known for his dedication to his patients. His eldest son Richard Baird Smith, was born in 1818 and raised in Lasswade. He trained at the East Indian Company's Miltary College and was commissioned into the Madras Engineers. Appointed Chief Engineer of Delhi in 1857 Baird Smith was instrumental in the recapture of that city, which marked the beginning of the end of the Indian Mutiny. A consequence of this was the introduction of direct rule of India by the British crown. Baird Smith was honoured for his part in suppressing the mutiny. The memorial was 'ERECTED BY THE COUNTRYMEN AND FRIENDS OF FATHER AND SON, BOTH HERE IN SCOTLAND AND IN INDIA'.
The memorial was refurbished in 2004-5.
Other nearby listed buildings