This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.336 / 55°20'9"N
Longitude: -4.5883 / 4°35'18"W
OS Eastings: 235926
OS Northings: 607711
OS Grid: NS359077
Mapcode National: GBR 4B.5ZT8
Mapcode Global: WH3RM.H49P
Plus Code: 9C7Q8CP6+9M
Entry Name: Former Garage And Store, Cloncaird Castle
Listing Name: Cloncaird Castle, Former Garage and Store
Listing Date: 6 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398891
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50618
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Kirkmichael (S Ayrshire)
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Maybole, North Carrick and Coylton
Parish: Kirkmichael (S Ayrshire)
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Early 20th century. Pair of Arts and Crafts style former garage and store buildings with matching stone and roof details. Whinstone rubble with rock-faced grey granite quoins and margins. Moulded granite eaves course; graduated slates; stone ridges; cast-iron gutters.
GARAGE: single-storey square-plan garage with pyramid roof, masonry finial at apex. 2 later wide square-headed vehicle openings. Gabled projection to NW with ball-finialed skewputt and shouldered stack to gable-end. Unusual semi-circular dormers with hooded slates to other three sides.
STORE: single-storey, 4-bay piend roofed rectangular-plan store with prominent lead domed louvred ventilator to ridge.
This pair of buildings are good examples of ancillary estate structures in the Arts and Crafts style in the Lorimer tradition. The buildings evidence the changing needs of estates such as Cloncaird with the invention of motorised transport in the early 20th century. The materials and detailing used are traditional to the area. The 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey shows this pair of buildings as constructed, although they are linked by a fan shaped building which is now gone. It is possible that this was a lightweight timber construction with canopied roof as the only evidence on the existing buildings is beam holes below eaves level and an area of hard standing between the two.
The stores replaces two small earlier buildings on the site, presumed to be contemporary with the stable block (see separate listing). The large timber and glazed doors were removed from the garage during the 2006 renovations and re-used in the E gable of a new building to the N of the castle.
Cloncaird Castle, which stands on a precipitous slope alongside the Kelsie Burn, was built around a 16th century core in 1814 for Henry Ritchie of Craiton and Busbie. Ritchie was succeeded by his second son William Wallace in 1843 and it remained in the Wallace family until sold in 1905 to Mrs Dubs, the widow of an industrialist. Colonel Wallace, who had sold the castle to Mrs Dubs, went on to marry her in 1908, reinstating himself as a result. Most of the interior remodelling of the castle is thought to date to the renovations by Mrs Dubs around this time. This included the introduction of fine ornate plasterwork, one plaque of which is signed by W Hubert Paton. On Mrs Dubs death in 1947 the castle became a convalescent home, run by the local authority. It was returned to private residential use in the later 20th century.
Other nearby listed buildings