History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Invermark Lodge Stables

A Category C Listed Building in Brechin and Edzell, Angus

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.9142 / 56°54'51"N

Longitude: -2.9217 / 2°55'18"W

OS Eastings: 343977

OS Northings: 780701

OS Grid: NO439807

Mapcode National: GBR WL.LDYY

Mapcode Global: WH7P7.2GZT

Entry Name: Invermark Lodge Stables

Listing Date: 14 November 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398919

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50721

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Lochlee

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Brechin and Edzell

Parish: Lochlee

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in
Tarfside

Description

Circa 1848. 3 detached single storey buildings containing stables and other offices arranged in U-plan around courtyard. Principal building (coach house and stables) 3 bays with attic and lower 2-bay side wings; 3-bay cottage and stable/harness room forming sides of courtyard. Roughly-squared, coursed granite with long and short granite quoins. Regular fenestration to courtyard elevations; less regular fenestration to outer elevations.

COACH HOUSE AND STABLES: to N of courtyard. Central 3-bay section with 3 sliding timber-boarded coach house or garage doors to ground and small hayloft entrance above; 2-bay stable wings adjoining each gable with timber-boarded door to inner bay and window to outer bay. Later 19th century addition to N elevation with catslide roof from central block; irregular arrangement of doors and windows and small chimney stack left of centre. Boarded timber stalls to stable interior

FORMER GROOM'S HOUSE: 3-bay cottage with central door to E of courtyard. Gablehead stacks and wallhead stack to centre of E elevation.

STABLE AND HARNESS ROOM: 3-bay range to W of courtyard with 3 doors to courtyard elevation and 3 irregularly-spaced windows to W elevation. Gablehead stacks and roof lights. Remains of early 20th century brick garage to S gable.

Statement of Interest

A simple, but neat and very little-altered group of stables and associated buildings. Although the stables are situated on private land, the rear elevation with its emphatic catslide roof is visible from the public footpath to the Queen's Well.

These stables were erected to serve Invermark Lodge, which was built as a shooting lodge for the Earl of Dalhousie in about 1847. Although various other ancillary buildings, such as kennels and the deer larder were erected in later 19th century, the stables are the only offices shown on the 1st edition OS map and must therefore have been built at the same time as the house. The 1926 plan marks the uses of all the buildings and shows that by that date the coach house was being used as a 'motor garage', that the addition behind the coach house contained a smithy, cattle shed, stick house and bothy, and that the W range contained a stable, harness room and chauffeur's room. The E range is marked as a dwelling house, and was presumably occupied by the head groom.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.