This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1762 / 57°10'34"N
Longitude: -3.1168 / 3°7'0"W
OS Eastings: 332575
OS Northings: 810040
OS Grid: NJ325100
Mapcode National: GBR WC.1S8J
Mapcode Global: WH6LN.3W2J
Entry Name: Lonach Farmhouse (Former Inn)
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399153
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50638
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Possibly later to late 18th century. Tall single storey and attic, 3-bay farmhouse, formerly Lonach Inn, sited on raised ground overlooking River Don, retaining some early interior detail. Harled with stone-pedimented dormer windows breaking eaves, and early lying pane glazing pattern.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical entrance elevation to N with timber door to left return of stone pedimented centre porch.
Lying 8- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; plate glass glazing to rear outshot. Graded grey slates with stone ridge, modern rooflight to rear. Coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes and cans, ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: some good interior detail retained. Early timberwork including panelled shutters, architraved doors and fire surrounds (that to sitting room modern). Small sitting room off kitchen with fireplace. Timber-balustered staircase, large landing formerly with box bed.
A good example of a Strathdon coaching inn, with reminders of its former use in the very compact sitting room (just wide enough to take a small fireplace) off the kitchen, and space for box beds. The building appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map as the Lonach Inn and has a U-plan steading range to the south east, this no longer exists. The other early Strathdon inn, now West Tornahaish, is not shown on the 1st OS map. According to the Statistical Account 'There is not a decent inn or public house in the whole parish, where any person above the common rank could get a bed, or a comfortable meal. There are only two licensed alehouses; in these whiskey only is for the most part to be got'. The current farm consists of 50 acres of haugh and 50 acres of hill farm, the new shed was erected in 1968.
Other nearby listed buildings