This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1992 / 57°11'57"N
Longitude: -3.0235 / 3°1'24"W
OS Eastings: 338252
OS Northings: 812509
OS Grid: NJ382125
Mapcode National: GBR WG.0GP7
Mapcode Global: WH7MT.J9FW
Entry Name: Newe Avenue No 3 (Also Known As No 2) and Coach House
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399154
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50639
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
E ranges 1840, W ranges probably later 19th century, W (coach house) range converted to dwelling 1980s. Fine single storey and attic, U-plan, former mill house, coach house and stables, formerly part of Newe Estate. Originally forming L-plan incorporating mill and mill house; stables and coach house added to mirror above forming large U-plan around open courtyard with stone bellcote, iron-columned verandah and some early interior detail. Snecked rubble with squared rubble long and short work quoins, harl with ashlar margins and quoin strips. Voussoired segmental-headed cart arches (altered to windows with timber and glass).
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical entrance elevation to S, with mill house and former mill to projecting E range. Stables to set-back face (E bays earlier) with door in slightly projecting centre gable incorporating blind panel and oculus below bellcote. Former coach house (now dwelling) to projecting W range with 2 cart arches converted to windows but retaining original timber doors (as shutters) to left of courtyard elevation.
N range with 10-lying-pane glazing pattern, E range with 4-pane glazing pattern all in timber sash and case windows; replacement hardwood glazing to W range. Grey slates with cast iron rooflights (except to W range), horizontal rooflight behind bellcote, and tall conically-capped ridge ventilators. Coped ashlar stacks with some cans. Ashlar-coped skews, moulded skewputts to E range.
INTERIOR: good retention of fine early stables incorporating timber and ironwork looseboxes with hay baskets; cobbled sett floors and boarded timber walls.
A well-detailed former coach house and stable block incorporating early mill buildings and miller's house. The unaltered stable ranges include standard loose boxes as well as two very fine boxes for the laird's horses. The mill is thought to have been operating until the 1930s. Built as the coach house and stables for Newe Castle, belonging to the Forbes family, the building was in the ownership of the Wallaces of Candacraig by 1948 as evidenced by the plaque at the S gable of the mill house, which shows the Wallace family crest, 'an ostrich in full flight proper'. In 1856 Sir Charles Forbes of Newe re-routed the main road, which ran in front of the Coach House, in order to enlarge the policies of Castle Newe, leaving Newe Avenue as a private road. The Forbes family fortune was established by John Forbes, 'Bombay Jock' (1743-1821). The Forbes family have, at some time, owned all of the principal glen properties except Candacraig. Castle Newe was demolished in 1925.
List description updated August 2007.