This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6018 / 55°36'6"N
Longitude: -2.7846 / 2°47'4"W
OS Eastings: 350658
OS Northings: 634516
OS Grid: NT506345
Mapcode National: GBR 83ZN.XR
Mapcode Global: WH7WP.6G7G
Plus Code: 9C7VJ628+P4
Entry Name: Railway Footbridge, Boleside Road
Listing Name: Boleside Road, Railway Footbridge
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399196
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50673
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Early 20th century railway footbridge over the former Selkirk District railway line. 2 tapered latticed mild steel support trussed towers and curved steel buttress dies supporting riveted diamond lattice steelwork parapets and textured steel sheets to floor. Square section cast-iron gateposts with ball finials to each end with twin wrought iron gates.
This railway footbridge is one of the few surviving structural elements from the railway network in Galashiels. The station and associated structures having been demolished.
The Edinburgh and Hawick Railway was opened in 1849 by the North British Railway and formed the first part of the line from Edinburgh to Carlisle. The railway through Galashiels was initially known as the Border union, but in 1862 the railway was officially named the Waverley line, to emphasise the connection with Walter Scott, as nearby Abbotsford increased in popularity as a literary shrine.
In 1856 the branch line opened to Selkirk although this footbridge does not become evident until the map of 1930. It is possible that a later foot bridge was required at this location to aid access from the developing areas of housing to the E end of Abbotsford road with the river for recreational purposes.
Due to the development of transport by road the Selkirk line was closed to passenger transport n 1951 and to goods in 1964 at which point the footbridge became redundant. The footbridge is still in use today however as it spans the remaining embankments and links a late 20th century housing estate to the NW directly to popular riverside walks.
Other nearby listed buildings