This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6076 / 55°36'27"N
Longitude: -2.7898 / 2°47'23"W
OS Eastings: 350340
OS Northings: 635169
OS Grid: NT503351
Mapcode National: GBR 83YL.TN
Mapcode Global: WH7WP.3BS0
Plus Code: 9C7VJ656+23
Entry Name: Galavale Lodge, Tweed Road
Listing Name: Tweed Road, Galavale House and Galavale Lodge, (Former Cottage Hospital)
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399262
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50724
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
John Wallace, 1895; 1938 extensions to SW and rear and separate lodge to NW. Symmetrical single storey with attic, 9-bay, T-plan hospital with central arched entrance, verandah and projecting canted outer bays. Extended in 1938 in similar style to include new wing (Hume ward) to left (SW) with matching canted bay, single storey service wings and L-plan block to rear to form extensive irregular-plan hospital. Glass roofed verandah over recessed bays to right (1895 E section) with decorative cast-iron columns and quatrefoil brackets. Transomed and mullioned canted windows; overhanging bell cast eaves; earlier pitched and round-arched dormers to SE; later bipartite box dormers to left (1938 SW section). Rubble stonework with rounded corners and ashlar angled corner stops; advanced smooth chamfered blonde sandstone tabbed margins. Tall projecting base course.
Predominantly late 20th century 2-pane timber tilt and turn windows; timber doors; glazed French doors with fanlights to 1938 SW section. Pitched and piended slate roofs, bell cast at eaves; rectangular truncated ashlar ridge stacks; tall shouldered stack to rear; integral box-profile gutters to eaves; cast-iron downpipes.
LODGE: circa 1938 sited to N. 2-storey, 2-bay square-plan lodge (now used as offices) built in the same style and materials of the earlier hospital with irregular fenestration. Gabled bay to right; horizontal 4-light window to left; projecting external corbelled stack. 12-pane timber sash and case windows; piended slate roof; stone skews; gablet sketputts.
The former Galashiels Cottage Hospital is a good example of its building type for its date, detailed yet compact in plan. The Hospital demonstrates good stonework and good quality detailing such as the entrance verandah on decorative bracketed cast-iron columns and large canted windows giving natural light to the wards behind. The 1938 extensions are well-executed, in the same style and materials, making it difficult to distinguish between the two building phases.
A public meeting was held in 1891 where the need for the hospital was agreed upon, and subsequently tenders were sent out to competition for designs. The architect John Wallace (d. 1897) of Edinburgh won the competition and his design was exhibited in 1895. Wallace, although based in Edinburgh was originally from the Borders, where much of his work was carried out. Opened in 1895 by Earl of Dalkeith. It was built by the local building firm Robert Hall and Co.
The Hospital was founded for use as a medical and surgical facility but not for the use of paupers. It was upgraded in the 1920s to include a new heating system. By the mid 20th century it was used as the local maternity hospital, closed for a period in the later 20th century, but now in use for residential care by Borders Primary Care NHS Trust (2006).
2-storey, 4-bay piended roof earlier 20th century nurses block to S (West Brig). (Possibly by J and J Hall in 1930). Large late 20th century block to SE ( all in same ownership 2006).
Other nearby listed buildings