This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6057 / 55°36'20"N
Longitude: -2.7917 / 2°47'30"W
OS Eastings: 350217
OS Northings: 634957
OS Grid: NT502349
Mapcode National: GBR 83YM.DC
Mapcode Global: WH7WP.2CWG
Plus Code: 9C7VJ645+78
Entry Name: Abbotshill Lodge, 54 Abbotsford Road
Listing Name: 54 Abbotsford Road, Abbotshill Lodge and Gateway
Listing Date: 25 October 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399179
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50659
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
William Hay, 1874. Single-storey and attic L-plan Baronial gate lodge with conical-roofed entrance turret to re-entrant angle and prominent crow-stepped gables. Squared stugged buff sandstone, ashlar dressings. Base course, eaves band course. Flat-roofed extension to rear.
Non-traditional replacement glazing throughout. Slate roof, fishscale slates to turret. Harled pitch-stack.
INTERIOR: largely modernised, retaining much of original layout.
GATEWAY: square-plan gatepiers with conical caps and corner colonnettes. Low wing walls.
B-Group with Abbotshill and Abbotsknowe (Former Stables). Abbotshill and its lodge are part of an important group of mill owners houses in this part of Galashiels. The lodge, while of architectural interest individually, reflecting closely the design of the main house and with a distinctive corner turret, is notable as part of the 'miniature estate' at Abbotshill, including the former stables (Abbotsknowe) and the lodge. These buildings are closely related to the growth of the textile industry in Galashiels and reflect the success of the industry at its height in the later 19th century.
From the 1860s mill owners began to move away from their houses closer to the mills and commenced the building of a series of ostentatious houses along Abbotsford Road. A number of these houses are built as miniature country estates, with all of the requisite parts, including lodges. Abbotshill was built for Archibald Cochrane, one of the partners in Netherdale mill.
William Hay carried out a variety of work in Galashiels, both on his own and as part of Hay and Henderson from 1877 (St Paul's Church, 1878, extensions to St Peter's 1881) He had previously designed Kingsknowes in 1868 for Adam Lees Cochrane, brother of Archibald.
The stables for Abbotshill were converted to dwellings in the 1930s and are now separately listed as Abbotsknowe.
Previously listed with Abbotshill.
Other nearby listed buildings