This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0371 / 57°2'13"N
Longitude: -3.2132 / 3°12'47"W
OS Eastings: 326474
OS Northings: 794654
OS Grid: NO264946
Mapcode National: GBR W7.BP3X
Mapcode Global: WH6MC.MD44
Entry Name: Crathie, the Manse, Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399274
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50758
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Crathie and Braemar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Crathie And Braemar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1789 and 1866-1873. 2-storey 3-bay double pile manse with L-plan earlier section to N (rear). Pink and grey coursed granite with some harl to W. Situated on bank of River Dee within original glebe and surrounded by boundary wall. Base course. Low lean-to former dairy in re-entrant angle to N.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: S elevation. Near central very advanced corniced porch with corner ball finials and segmental arched entrance with 6-panel timber door. To left, advanced gable with canted bay to both storeys and stone cross finial. Pedimented dormerheads.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows. Those to earlier part, 12-pane; others predominantly 4-pane. Some tripartite windows with timber mullions. Grey slates. Raised coped skews and skewputts. Gable coped stacks and one ridge stack. Cast iron rain water goods with some decorative hoppers. Tall slit windows to former diary with wire mesh.
INTERIOR: original floorplan largely extant. Retains some original features. 6-panel timber doors. Classical marble chimney-piece. Shallow tread stair with timber balusters and banister. Simple cornicing to public rooms. Dairy at rear contains flagstone floor and slate worktop.
BOUNDARY WALL: tall; rubble granite with rubble coping.
The manse is an interesting and fine example of an 18th century manse, later extended in the 19th century and retaining much of the original building and keeping its solitary situation. The manse is linked to Crathie Kirk (see separate listing) and has Royal connections. The Royal Family worshipped at Crathie Kirk when staying at Balmoral and continue to do so today. The front additional section of the manse was commissioned by Queen Victoria and is most likely to be by William Smith, who designed Balmoral Castle (1852-1955) and was therefore known to the Royal Family. Crathie Manse shows similar design features to nearby Tarland Manse, (1846), which was built by William and James Smith (see separate listing).
One bedroom upstairs contains some frosted glass on the window, which is alleged to have enabled Queen Victoria to visit the grave of John Brown in the neighbouring graveyard and not be overlooked by anyone within the Manse.
William Smith was an Aberdeen architect who attracted the attention of Prince Albert and subsequently designed the new Balmoral Castle. His work mainly centred in Aberdeenshire and included several manses.
Other nearby listed buildings