This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0307 / 57°1'50"N
Longitude: -3.2025 / 3°12'9"W
OS Eastings: 327107
OS Northings: 793927
OS Grid: NO271939
Mapcode National: GBR W7.C5FQ
Mapcode Global: WH6MC.SK52
Plus Code: 9C9R2QJW+7X
Entry Name: Old Schoolhouse
Listing Name: Lochnagar, Old Schoolhouse Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399284
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50765
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Crathie and Braemar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Crathie And Braemar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 19th century. Well-detailed single storey and attic simple Tudor former schoolhouse situated in own grounds. L-plan house with single storey plainer 3-bay former schoolroom to N. Coursed grey and pink granite. Base course. Some hoodmoulds. Ball finials to N and S gables. Distinctive deeply recessed timber mullioned tripartite windows with square panes to S.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 3-bay S (principal) elevation with central square-plan castellated porch with segmental arch entrance opening with panelled timber door. To right, advanced gabled bay with blind arrow slit and ball finial to apex.
2 blank windows to W.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows, 8 lying panes to schoolroom. Raised coped skews and square moulded skewputts. Grey graded slate. Gable stacks. External gable to E with raised coped skews and skewputts and stack.
INTERIOR: extensively modernised.
BOUNDARY WALL: low granite rubble wall to N.
Distinctively detailed and well-proportioned former school house with school to rear with largely unaltered and unextended exterior. Of particular note is the Tudor detailing and rare glazing scheme ' from the lying panes to the schoolroom to the deeply recessed timber mullioned windows with square panes to the South elevation. The School house is situated within Abergeldie Estate, close to Balmoral Estate which was bought by Queen Victoria in 1852. Abergeldie Estate was then leased to the Royal Family until the 1960s. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert built several schools in the estates for the benefit of the local children and this is likely to have been one of these. The Tudor arch is reminiscent of some of the buildings within Balmoral Estate. Local knowledge suggests that it was a knitting school for girls, with the single storey extension being the knitting room and the house to the S belonging to the head mistress. The pupils were transferred to the newly built Crathie school in 1892.
Other nearby listed buildings