History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

67 Keith Street

A Category C Listed Building in Steòrnabhagh a Deas, Na h-Eileanan Siar

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 58.2116 / 58°12'41"N

Longitude: -6.3863 / 6°23'10"W

OS Eastings: 142465

OS Northings: 933141

OS Grid: NB424331

Mapcode National: GBR B7M0.TV1

Mapcode Global: WGY2Y.WV3T

Plus Code: 9CCM6J67+JF

Entry Name: 67 Keith Street

Listing Name: 67 Keith Street Including Boundary Wall and Railings

Listing Date: 9 February 2007

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 399327

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50798

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Stornoway

County: Na h-Eileanan Siar

Town: Stornoway

Electoral Ward: Steòrnabhagh a Deas

Traditional County: Ross-shire

Find accommodation in
Stornoway

Description

Probably late 18th to early 19th century. Imposing tall 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan house with pedimented and pilastered doorpiece and deep-set openings, on prominent corner site of principal Stornoway street. Harled with stone margins and cills.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical entrance elevation to W with centre door, windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration to 1st floor, 3 regularly-disposed piended dormer windows above. Gabled elevation to S (Scotland Street) with 2 windows to each floor and dominant gablehead stack.

Replacement glazing throughout. Grey slates. Coped harled stacks with some cans

BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: low coped and harled boundary wall with inset decorative cast iron railings to S.

Statement of Interest

This well-proportioned house is a rare survival, retaining much of its original character as a prosperous early 19th century dwelling close to the heart of the burgh of Stornoway. Prominently located at the junction of Keith Street and Scotland Street, with the Female Industrial School (listed separately at category B) sited at the diagonally opposite corner, the building retains streetscape value despite the loss of traditional glazing and front door.

The Statistical Account of 1799 notes the existence of 67 slated houses in the burgh, 26 of which had been constructed since 1786. The lack of evidence of any thackstanes may point to this being one of those early slated houses. Certainly the town was expanding in an easterly direction from the late 18th century onwards. The Burgh Survey notes that 'The principal streets follow a north-to-south and east-to-west grid pattern and comprise Keith Street, Lewis Street, Matheson Road, Francis Street, Church Street and Scotland Street. This area is largely residential and contains some fine examples of period housing'. Keith Street is named for George and James Keith who fled to the continent after the 1719 Jacobite rising.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.