This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4292 / 55°25'45"N
Longitude: -2.7794 / 2°46'46"W
OS Eastings: 350770
OS Northings: 615310
OS Grid: NT507153
Mapcode National: GBR 951N.1L
Mapcode Global: WH7XG.8SPS
Plus Code: 9C7VC6HC+M6
Entry Name: Eastfield Mills
Listing Name: Mansefield Road, Eastfield Mills
Listing Date: 1 March 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399340
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50813
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Hawick and Denholm
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Dated 1882. Near-symmetrical, 2-storey and attic, 9-bay, French Renaissance-style administration and warehouse block; advanced mansard-roofed outer bays with balustraded balconies; single-storey wing to W, pair of small cottages flanking gateway to E. Close-set square attic openings (originally blind, now windows) to all elevations. Finely jointed bull-faced sandstone, rusticated ashlar quoins and polished window margins. String course; modillioned eaves cornice. Projecting cills, round-arched openings to ground floor, hoodmoulded to outer bays. Regular fenestration with tripartite windows to centre and outer bays.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Principal (S) elevation with off-centre entrance to left; pronounced consoled architrave with large nailhead mouldings. Round-arched windows with prominent keystones bearing saltire crosses. Square-headed openings to 1st storey. Central inscription to attic (see NOTES). Tripartite window set in distinctive round-headed dormer above with inscription in dormerhead (see NOTES); further round-headed dormers to outer bays. 3-bay, single-storey wings with piended roof, hoodmoulded windows and decorative brattishing. Non-traditional additions to rear.
INTERIOR: Extensively modernised but still retaining some internal features including sections of exposed timber flooring, roof structure and original stairwells.
Predominantly 4-pane pattern non-traditional glazing to casement and fixed light windows; non-traditional skylights. Coped wallhead stack to E elevation. Blue slate, lead flashings, cast-iron rainwater goods.
The administration block at Eastfield Mills has the grandest façade of any of the textile buildings in Hawick and it makes a major contribution to the streetscape. Its French Renaissance chateau style is highly distinctive and the building is both imposing and impressively detailed..
The mill was built by the firm of Blenkhorn, Richardson and Co Ltd. and remained in their hands until their closure in the 1970s. Johnstons of Elgin then took on the buildings, and they continue to use them for knitting and weaving to this day. Although the sheds to the rear were demolished in the 1990s and replaced with modern industrial units, the building is still an impressive reminder of the importance of the textile industry to the burgh.
Inscriptions read: EASTFIELD MILLS, 1882, and B R & CO.
Hawick is famous for its high-quality textiles. Historically the town was responsible for the production of high-quality garments, woollen knitwear, hosiery and, above all, cashmere. The burgh is located at the meeting of the River Teviot and the Slitrig water, which provided the essential element for the success of the mills, an abundance of fast flowing water to power the mills. The burgh had many small cottage mills in 1800 but gradually, as mechanisation took over more and more of the processes, larger mills were constructed. During the 19th century, water power was superseded by steam power, and many of the mills were converted to steam with the introduction of engine and boiler houses (although water continued to be used as source well into the 20th century). The industry led to Hawick at one time being one of the richest burghs in Scotland per capita. List description revised and category changed from C(S) to B following resurvey (2008).
Other nearby listed buildings