History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Henhouse, West Woodlands, Glasgow Road

A Category C Listed Building in Perth, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3891 / 56°23'20"N

Longitude: -3.4712 / 3°28'16"W

OS Eastings: 309268

OS Northings: 722838

OS Grid: NO092228

Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.1D3H

Mapcode Global: WH5P6.NN8X

Plus Code: 9C8R9GQH+JG

Entry Name: Henhouse, West Woodlands, Glasgow Road

Listing Name: Glasgow Road, West Woodlands, Henhouse

Listing Date: 14 March 2007

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 399379

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50825

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Perth

County: Perth and Kinross

Town: Perth

Electoral Ward: Perth City South

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Perth

Description

Probably later 19th century. Unusual diminutive small square-plan lectern style henhouse sited between, little altered remnants of small home farm steading adjacent to site of now demolished Woodlands House. Roughly squared and snecked rubble with large squared quoins. Timber door with low level entry and timber lintel to S, evidence of ledges within (possibly nesting boxes).Probably later 19th century. Unusual diminutive small square-plan lectern style henhouse sited between, little altered remnants of small home farm steading adjacent to site of now demolished Woodlands House. Roughly squared and snecked rubble with large squared quoins. Timber door with low level entry and timber lintel to S, evidence of ledges within (possibly nesting boxes).

Statement of Interest

B-group with coach house and laundry.

The lectern design is rare for a henhouse and, grouped with the nearby coach house and laundry, is but a remnant of the fine small scale Woodlands House and Farm, built on land appearing as 'Perth Wood' on Macfarlane's 1792 map. The Perthshire Courier of 1813 advertised for sale 'The House and Grounds of Woodlands ... near the Auchterarder Turnpike Road containing about 34 Scots Acres of good ground'. By 1858

Woodlands, listed as a 'Gentleman's Seat' in the PO Directory, was owned by W Devas. Woodlands House appears on the first edition Ordnance Survey map with large tree-lined formal gardens and a good-sized walled garden. The henhouse is sited between the coach house (see separate listing) and the site of the former Woodlands House. Historic maps indicate an unusually small scale steading with a circular structure, probably a horse mill, now no longer extant, at the northwest corner. The farmhouse, situated immediately to the west of the steading, is a gabled house reworked during the later 19th and 20th centuries. The surrounding farmland has all but disappeared under extensive modern housing developments.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.