History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sandbank Parish Church

A Category C Listed Building in Cowal, Argyll and Bute

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9807 / 55°58'50"N

Longitude: -4.9471 / 4°56'49"W

OS Eastings: 216229

OS Northings: 680331

OS Grid: NS162803

Mapcode National: GBR 04.WBLQ

Mapcode Global: WH2M0.ZYF0

Plus Code: 9C7QX3J3+75

Entry Name: Sandbank Parish Church

Listing Name: Sandbank Parish Church

Listing Date: 14 March 2007

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 399382

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50828

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunoon and Kilmun

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Cowal

Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Find accommodation in
Kilmun

Description

Dated 1868. T-plan Gothic church with later hall extension forming rough L-plan. Distinctive cylindrical tower and hoodmoulded triple lancet window with trefoil windows below to principal (SW) gable elevation. Slaister pointed stone with tooled red sandstone dressings. Base course. Corner buttresses to SW elevation; shield to gablehead and finial to apex. Gabled porch recessed to right with segmental- arched doorway with 2-leaf timber boarded door. Cylindrical tower to re-entrant angle with 4 roundels set above moulded string course; 12-arch belfry ring and tall candle snuffer roof. Lean-to vestry adjoining NW elevation with trefoil headed windows and timber boarded door. Ashlar-coped skews. Graded grey Scottish slate; banded fishcale slating to tower. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: stained glass in windows to N and S walls, timber panelling to dado. Open-framed timber roof structure.

Statement of Interest

Sandbank Parish Church is a simple but well detailed Gothic building. It is highly distinctive for its tower which makes a strong contribution to the streetscape and may well be influenced by the early medieval at Brechin and Abernethy Cathedrals and the Celtic round towers of Ireland.

According to Groome's Gazetteer the church was built as a Chapel of Ease at the cost of £840 and was made quoad sacra in 1876. The stained glass windows were transferred here from the congregational church in 1936.

The shield in the SW gablehead reads 'ERECTED 1868'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.