This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5772 / 55°34'38"N
Longitude: -2.6709 / 2°40'15"W
OS Eastings: 357799
OS Northings: 631713
OS Grid: NT577317
Mapcode National: GBR 93SY.KJ
Mapcode Global: WH7WX.Y2BR
Entry Name: Newton St Boswells, Auction Mart, Livestock Ring
Listing Date: 22 July 2010
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400470
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51565
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
1872. Single storey, octagonal-plan, livestock auction ring with cast-iron cow ornament weathervane finial. Rendered brick with later additions to N and S. Animal entrance/exit to SE. Lean-to addition to SW wall containing offices.
INTERIOR: boarded timber cladding to walls and ceiling with octagonal louvred cupola; timber columns and metal fencing surrounding central ring; boarded timber walls forming office and auctioneers box in S corner. 7-stage, tiered timber benching to outer walls. Tiled concrete floor within ring.
Fixed 4-pane glazing in timber windows. Grey slate. Irregular formation of flush rooflights. Louvred, triangular vents in alternate roof facets.
A rare and early example of a 19th century livestock auction ring currently remaining in use as such (2009). It is one of only a small handful remaining in Scotland, with other listed examples following the same plan-form at Kittybrewster in Aberdeen; Reston; Newton Stewart; Lanark and Lockerbie (see separate listings). It is remarkable for both its good condition and degree of intactness, with timber panelling rising through the full height of the interior, terminating at a central side-lit cupola.
The majority of surviving livestock auction rings were built around 1900 or later so this is notable as an early example following the octagonal form favoured in the South of the country, allowing maximum viewing space.
The 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1892 depicts two further octagonal rings (demolished) at the Newtown Mart on the opposite side of the former railway line to the SW, evidencing the extent and importance of the cattle trade at Newtown St Boswell's in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Other nearby listed buildings