This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6552 / 55°39'18"N
Longitude: -3.7817 / 3°46'54"W
OS Eastings: 287994
OS Northings: 641623
OS Grid: NS879416
Mapcode National: GBR 2311.2L
Mapcode Global: WH5SQ.W3CZ
Entry Name: Corehouse Stove House (Or Vinery)
Listing Date: 16 September 2010
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400495
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51597
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Clydesdale North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1830. Remains of stove house which heated the adjacent vinery. Substantial wall with central curved alcove flanked by doorways and with low wall enclosing small area to S, presumably originally glazed in upper part. Random rubble with ashlar dressings to doorways.
Though only a fragment of the original structure and a functional rather than a decorative building, the stove house is visually impressive. The symmetry of its façade with its central curved alcove is indicative of its former use and makes a significant contribution to the Corehouse estate.
Situated at the N end of the flower garden, maps indicate that this structure was the 'Stove House' whilst it is known locally as 'The Vinery'. The Vinery, which stood on the S of the wall, would have been heated by some kind of furnace system, possibly at the rear of the wall where there is evidence that a pitched roof structure was once positioned. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1857) shows several glasshouses adjacent (maps suggest that there may have been as many as five), all but one of which appear to have been demolished by the 1890s.
The Corehouse Estate was developed and improved by George Cranstoun, 1st Lord Corehouse from 1824 onwards when the new mansion designed by Edward Blore was being constructed. The stove house was almost certainly constructed at this time.
Other elements of the Corehouse designed landscape also listed are the Conservatory and Flower Garden Walls, the Mausoleum, the Dovecot and the Stable Court (see separate listings).
Other nearby listed buildings