This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8755 / 55°52'31"N
Longitude: -4.3326 / 4°19'57"W
OS Eastings: 254160
OS Northings: 667166
OS Grid: NS541671
Mapcode National: GBR 02F.TJ
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.FL23
Plus Code: 9C7QVMG8+6W
Entry Name: Victoria Park. Partick And Whiteinch War Memorial
Listing Name: Victoria Park, Partick and Whiteinch War Memorial
Listing Date: 26 April 2011
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400665
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51739
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Victoria Park
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Francis William Doyle-Jones, 1922. War memorial consisting of tall rectangular granite plinth supporting bronze Victory statue set within 19th century park and facing a boating pond. Broad steeped base and stepped plinth, stepped, moulded and concave top surmounted by a female sculpture with outspread wings, standing on a globe and holding a wreath. Projecting side piers with carved scrolls to top. E face with inscription 'OUR / BELOVED DEAD / TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN / GRATEFUL & EVERLASTING / REMEMBRANCE / OF THE MEN OF / PARTICK AND WHITEINCH / WHO FELL / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914-1918 / 1930 - 1945'. Carved sword entwined with a wreath above. Inscription to base 'WE WILL REMEMBER THEM'.
The Partick and Whiteinch War Memorial is a well-crafted memorial which is a prominent feature of Victoria Park, on axis with a tree lined avenue and adjacent to the boating pond. The memorial was requested by James Arthur, secretary of the Partick Joint wards War Memorial Committee, who in 1921 sought permission from the City Council to erect a memorial in Victoria Park. The site adjacent to the model yachting pond was chosen which allows for uninterrupted views of the principal face of the memorial from the edge of the park.
Francis William Doyle-Jones (1873-1938) was born in West Hartlepool, Yorkshire. He studied sculpture at the Royal School of Art, South Kensington School under the French sculptor Edouard Lanteri. Working predominantly in bronze and granite he designed and produced busts, relief potraits ts and public monuments, such as the bust of Robert Burns, Galashiels (see separate listing). In 1926 his work was described in The Studio as illustrating 'the tendency in modern sculpture towards an uncompromising realism.'
Following the Great War he won a number of commissions for English War memorials, such as Sutton Coldfield (1922) and Northfleet Cement Works, Gravesend. The Partick and Whiteinch is his only known Scottish memorial. The memorial bears many similarities with the one he produced for Brighouse, Yorkshire (1922) and his South African War Memorial in Saltwell Park, Gateshead (1905).
Victoria Park was named in honour of Queen Victoria's Jubilee. It was laid out in 1886-87 on the Scotstoun Estate, on land given to the burgh of Partick by Gordon Oswald of Scotstoun. Victoria Park is included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes.
Other nearby listed buildings