This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.745 / 56°44'42"N
Longitude: -2.4804 / 2°28'49"W
OS Eastings: 370716
OS Northings: 761588
OS Grid: NO707615
Mapcode National: GBR X4.Z2KW
Mapcode Global: WH8RB.WQ1K
Plus Code: 9C8VPGW9+2R
Entry Name: Hillside, Former Sunnyside Hospital, Home Team Cricket Pavilion
Listing Name: Hillside, Former Sunnyside Hospital, Home Team Cricket Pavilion
Listing Date: 12 June 2013
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 401661
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB52046
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Montrose and District
Traditional County: Angus
Early 20th century. Single storey, octagonal, boarded timber cricket pavilion with deep overhanging, corrugated iron pavilion roof, tall finial at apex. Stone base. Vertical and diagonal painted timber boarding. Square window openings (boarded) to some faces; some with extant fixed glazing. Boarded entrance opening to S with flanking window openings. Fixed, slatted timber bench to exterior. Overhanging eaves with timber soffits and brackets.
INTERIOR: (partially seen 2012) Timber lined with timber bench seating around. Storage under bench seat.
B-Group includes Sunnyside Main Building, Hospital Building, North Esk Villa, Garage and Former Fire Station, Booth House Former Nursees' Home, Carnegie House, Water Tank and Former Workshops, Summerhouse, Away Team Cricket Pavilion and Home Team Cricket Pavilion.
This is a good example of a little altered, early 20th century timber cricket paviliion, set within the important Sunnyside Hospital site and it is remarkable for its survival. Sunnyside Asylum developed in the 19th century as a replacement for the first lunatic asylum in Scotland at Montrose. The hospital consists of a related group of buildings, informally set in a semi-parkland setting on a hillside overlooking Montrose. The site is significant in remaining largely intact and retaining the integrity of a self-contained psychiatric hospital.
This pavilion was built to provide accommodation for the Home team when cricket matches were played at the hospital and it is an important element in the overall complex of buildings which make up the Sunnyside site.
Patients at the hospital were encouraged to take part in outdoor activities and a variety of sports facilites were provided in the grounds, including a large grassy area for cricket and football, tennis courts, a curling pond and a bowling green.
Sunnyside Hospitial opened in 1857 and was contructed to replace the former Montrose Lunatic Asylum, established in Montrose in 1781. This ws the first hospital in Scotland to care for the mentally ill and was founded by Susan Carnegie, who hoped that if the patients were given good treatment and medical aid, they may be able to return to society. The marble tablet from the opening of this original building is situated in the current asylum. In 1855, the Scottish Lunacy Commission was appointed and condemned the Montrose building as being unsuitable. It was agreed to build a new asylum and a site to the north of Montrose, at Sunnyside Farm was chosen. The architect William Lambie Moffat, who was working in Doncaster, designed this new building (see separate listing). originally the building formed a double courtyard plan, but as the numbers of patients increased, the building was extended to the rear in 1877 with addition of a new recreation hall, dining room and kitchen.
Sunnyside Hospital continued to develop during the latter part of the 19th century and the early 20th century, as patients continued to increase in numbers. A hospital building ws added in 1888 (see separate listing) to care for patients whio had both edical and psychatric conditions. Carnegie House (see separate listing) was constructed in 1896 to provide accommodation for private patients. This was set slightly apart from the main building to the north and the patients had their own garden for recreational use. Other buildings were gradually added to the site, including three villas, workshops and a chapel. The gradual development of the site is important in demonstrating the change in ideas over the century in the care of the mentally ill. When the lease of Sunnyside farm expired in 1911 another 52 further acres were purchased for the use of the community. Over athe course of the 20th century, the patients and staff became involved in a number of activites within the complex including gardening and farming. A seperate nurses' home was built int the 1930's ( see seperate listing).
This site ceased to be used as a hospital in 2012.
Listed following a review of the former Sunnyside Hospital site, (2012-13)
Other nearby listed buildings