This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.2412 / 55°14'28"N
Longitude: -4.8588 / 4°51'31"W
OS Eastings: 218343
OS Northings: 597840
OS Grid: NX183978
Mapcode National: GBR 40.CX37
Mapcode Global: WH2QR.BJJC
Plus Code: 9C7Q64RR+FF
Entry Name: Girvan, 20F Henrietta Street, Carrick Buildings
Listing Name: 20f Henrietta Street, Carrick Buildings, Including Boundary Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 3 September 2013
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 401741
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB52077
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Girvan and South Carrick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
William Cowie, dated 1912. 2 storey, 12-bay, L-plan, gabled, classically detailed former school (currently college, 2013). Red sandstone ashlar; contrasting render to rear and side elevations with some red sandstone margins. Base course, cornice. Some bi-and tri-partite window openings. N and S elevations with single-storey piended entrance porches with segmental-arched entrance openings. Round-arched dormerheads breaking eaves to N, S and W. N elevation with large window opening to upper storey, extending over roofline.
E HENRIETTA (STREET) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Advanced central 6 bays; regular window openings to ground. Centre 4 bays at upper storey with bracketed moulded cill course; window openings at outer bays with moulded architraves, large key-stones and bracketted segmental-arched pediments. Carved coats of arms in gableheads above; that to right dated 1912 and to left initialled GGHS; balustrade between gables. Pilasters at outer edge; cartouches to upper sections and surmounted by urns. Flanking recessed symmetrical 3-bays; central pedimented window to ground; oculus above.
INTERIOR: (seen, 2012). Largely remodelled to provide modern education space. Some doors with original moulded timber architraves. Octagonal glazed lantern to hall.
Predominantly multi-pane timber replacement in sash and case style with tilting lower sash. Predominantly replacement grey slates; red ridge tiles.
BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: to W: low wall surmounted with decorative iron railings. To E; tall coped rubble wall with some bricked openings. Brick walls to N and S.
This former school is an important part of the streetscape of this area of Girvan. The classical detailing to the street elevation is distinctive, particularly the decoration around the windows and the prominent urns. The large window which lights the former art room and which extends above the roofline is of interest as it enabled the students to make full use of the constant north light.
The school was built in 1911-2 by the local architect, William Cowie. Map evidence suggests that the building replaced a former T-plan school which was on this site. Girvan primary school was housed at the site until 1992, when all the Girvan primaries amalgamated into a single school. The building was then converted to form part of Ayr College.
William Cowie (1867-1949) began independent practice in Ayr in 1905, having previously worked in Glasgow. He worked in the offices of Sydney Mitchell and was interested in medieval ecclesiastical architecture. His work included public buildings, churches and private houses, all around the Ayr area.
Other nearby listed buildings