History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yester Chapel (Formerly St Cuthbert's Collegiate Church), Yester House, Gifford

A Category A Listed Building in Haddington and Lammermuir, East Lothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8951 / 55°53'42"N

Longitude: -2.7297 / 2°43'47"W

OS Eastings: 354462

OS Northings: 667122

OS Grid: NT544671

Mapcode National: GBR 90C8.TM

Mapcode Global: WH7VC.13D3

Entry Name: Yester Chapel (Formerly St Cuthbert's Collegiate Church), Yester House, Gifford

Listing Date: 5 February 1971

Last Amended: 16 January 2017

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 406593

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14695

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Yester

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir

Parish: Yester

Traditional County: East Lothian

Find accommodation in
Gifford

Description

15th century chapel with east window of 1635 and later refacing. Adam Brothers, 1753, Rococo Gothic west elevation. Probably remaining choir and transepts of St Cuthbert s Collegiate Church, served as Yester Parish Church until 1705.

Large blocks of coursed sandstone, 15th century base course, eaves cornice and a slab slated roof.

CHOIR:

WEST ELEVATION: Adam Brothers, 1753. Gabled entrance bay with recessed pointed-arch panel; ogival doorway, crocketted carving and finials; studded door ornate armorial above flanked by small niches; oval oculus at apex of recessed panel with ornamented surround and looped tracery. Pendant frieze to cornice and cusping to gablehead, with feathery crockets and finial. Diagonal set-off angle buttresses.

EAST ELEVATION: reticulated traceried window, 1635, with moulded surround in choir jamb; cross finial. Blank sides to north and south.

TRANSEPTS: to north and south with set-off angle buttresses, masque corbels and shaped mannered carving above cornice to the west. 3-light stone round-arched windows in recessed segmental panels to the north and south; cross finials.

INTERIOR: pointed stone vaults to each jamb, depressed arches into transepts; Tweeddale burial monuments of 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. Remnants of medieval wall painting.

Statement of Interest

An archaeological survey of 2015 discovered and recorded remnants of rare medieval wall paintings to the interior of the south transcept of the church.

Statutory address, category of listing and listed building record revised in 2016. Previously listed as 'Yester House, St Bothan s Chapel, Formerly St Cuthbert s Collegiate Church'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.